• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GBM 2009

Kitchen Rat released the possible line-up for GBM09:

South East

Tristan Welch - head chef, Launceston Place, London

Mark Sargeant - head chef, Gordon Ramsay at Claridges, London

South West

Nathan Outlaw - chef patron, Restaurant Nathan Outlaw at the Marina Hotel, fowey, Cornwall

Shaun Rankin - head chef, Bohemia Bar & Restaurant, The Club Hotel & Spa, Jersey.

North West

Aiden Byrne - chef proprietor, The Church Green, Lymm, Cheshire

Nigel Haworth - chef patron, Northcote Manor, Blackburn

North East

Kenny Atkinson - head chef, Seaham Hall, Seaham, Northumbria

Ian Maftin - Executive chef, Manchester Abode, Manchester

Midlands

Glynn Purnell - chef proprietor, Purnell's, Birmingham

Daniel Clifford - chef patron, Midsummer House, Cambridge

Scotland

Alan Murchison - chef propreitor, L'Ortolan, Shinfield, Berkshire and La Bécasse, Ludlow, Shropshire.

Tom Kitchin - chef proprietor, The Kitchin, Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland

Wales

???

???

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

I believe the birthplace/hometowns of the chefs, rather than the locations of their restaurants, contribute to which region they represent. Hence Alan Murchison representing Scotland whilst running a restaurant in Berkshire..

I think this was the case with Angela Hartnett last year. Restaurant in London, hometown in Wales.

If I am your princess, then where is my crown?

It would appear that someone might have finally realised that Ireland, either North or South, doesn't quite fit in with the British theme of the programme.

That, or they've already used up the only passable Irish chefs in the previous series.*

*This is a joke, just in case Dylan McGrath is reading this and now wishes to throw angry chips at me.

irony doesn't mean "kinda like iron".

I'd have thought that the GBM series has been taken as far as it can now. I may be on my own but I reckon its had its day now. Whats the ultimate upshot of the forth coming series, seems to be getting evermore obscure. God I 've got stop being so cynical!!!!! :wink:

Why not? Come on, spill the beans.... Does the winner get to spent the night with Ms Bond perhaps?!!!

More from the Kitchen Rat site:

There's a few old faces, a few new and (hoorah?) no Jenny Bond sticking her nose around about the kitchen with inane, grin-fixed questions. Instead there's the equally attractive past winners Sat Bains and Jason Atherton presenting.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know what the 'prize' is?

For whom are they cooking?

There is now a press release about this on the BBC website (here). This says that they are cooking a banquet to "honour men and women recently returned from active service in Afghanistan, along with their families..."

The full list of chefs taking part is:

Central: Glynn Purnell (Purnell's, Birmingham) vs Daniel Clifford (Midsummer House, Cambridge)

London & South East: Mark Sargeant (Gordon Ramsay at Claridges) vs Tristan Welch (Launceston Place, London)

North East: Ian Matfin (Abode, Manchester) vs Kenny Atkinson (The White Room at Seaham Hall, County Durham)

North West: Nigel Haworth (Northcote Manor, Blackburn) vs Aiden Byrne (The Church Green, Lymm, Cheshire)

Northern Ireland: Danny Millar (Balloo House, Killinchy) vs Clare Smyth (Gordon Ramsay Royal Hospital Road)

Scotland: Tom Kitchin (The Kitchin, Edinburgh) vs Alan Murchison (L'Ortolan, Shinfield, Berkshire)

South West: Nathan Outlaw (Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, Fowey, Cornwall) vs Shaun Rankin (Bohemia, Jersey)

Wales: Stephen Terry (The Hardwick, Abergavenny) vs James Sommerin (The Crown at Whitebrook, Monmouth)

What it doesn't seem to say is when the banquet will take place, or when the series starts.

I've never been to Fowey, but I really hope he trounces the blarney spouting housewife's favourite.

I can only presume the derogatory use of the word 'blarney' would imply that you are in fact mixing up Shaun Rankin with Paul Rankin.

Yeah I think too there may be a little mix up here! SHAUN Rankin is a fine chef, who cooks in Jersey. I believe the other Rankin has enough on his plate at the moment to deal with. Going through some hard times by all accounts.

I think the end prize on GBM is getting evermore obscure. Im struggly to see the point really. Possibly needs reformating? Interested to hear what others think. My cousin is a serving Royal Marine, who came back form the middle east last year. He loves food, just so long as there is tonns of it! He see's food as fuel which helps him in his job. He for one couldn't care less what chef cooked his dinner. Is this a fair comment or is there such things as combat gourmets!? Anyway hope it will be for the blokes at the sharp end and not the toffs! :raz:

Yeah I think too there may be a little mix up here! SHAUN Rankin is a fine chef, who cooks in Jersey. I believe the other Rankin has enough on his plate at the moment to deal with. Going through some hard times by all accounts.

I think the end prize on GBM is getting evermore obscure. Im struggly to see the point really. Possibly needs reformating? Interested to hear what others think. My cousin is a serving Royal Marine, who came back form the middle east last year. He loves food, just so long as there is tonns of it! He see's food as fuel which helps him in his job. He for one couldn't care less what chef cooked his dinner. Is this a fair comment or is there such things as combat gourmets!? Anyway hope it will be for the blokes at the sharp end and not the toffs!  :raz:

Personally, I am only marginally bothered by what the prize is - after all, it is not as if I am eligable!

I agree though that it is getting obscure, but as long as it is enough to attract quality chefs or as long as they want to take part regardless of what they win, then I am happy.

And to be fair, I am sure that bragging rights plus potential pecuniary benefits (God only knows just how fat a cash cow that BLT sandwich has proven for Jason Atherton/Maze/Rambo) will be sufficient to keep the standard suitably high.

I am really looking forward to the show actually.

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

Why not? Come on, spill the beans.... Does the winner get to spent the night with Ms Bond perhaps?!!!

More from the Kitchen Rat site:

There's a few old faces, a few new and (hoorah?) no Jenny Bond sticking her nose around about the kitchen with inane, grin-fixed questions. Instead there's the equally attractive past winners Sat Bains and Jason Atherton presenting.

Equally attractive as each other, or equally attractive as Ms Bond?

I think the end prize on GBM is getting evermore obscure. Im struggly to see the point really. Possibly needs reformating? Interested to hear what others think. My cousin is a serving Royal Marine, who came back form the middle east last year. He loves food, just so long as there is tonns of it! He see's food as fuel which helps him in his job. He for one couldn't care less what chef cooked his dinner. Is this a fair comment or is there such things as combat gourmets!? Anyway hope it will be for the blokes at the sharp end and not the toffs!  :raz:

Personally, I am only marginally bothered by what the prize is - after all, it is not as if I am eligable!

I agree though that it is getting obscure, but as long as it is enough to attract quality chefs or as long as they want to take part regardless of what they win, then I am happy.

And to be fair, I am sure that bragging rights plus potential pecuniary benefits (God only knows just how fat a cash cow that BLT sandwich has proven for Jason Atherton/Maze/Rambo) will be sufficient to keep the standard suitably high.

The chef's probably don't care about the prize anyhow... its all about getting publicity. I doubt many people in the general public who doesn't frequent this board would have heard of someone like say Tristan Welch.

The chef's probably don't care about the prize anyhow... its all about getting publicity. I doubt many people in the general public who doesn't frequent this board would have heard of someone like say Tristan Welch.

When Aiden Byrne appeared on Saturday Kitchen he had just opened The Church Green at Lymm ,Cheshire.

It took me over an hour to get through on the phone to book a table

I think they took over 150 bookings that day

Aiden and Sarah have been busy beyond belief,due to the television exposure.

The appearance fee in comparison,is peanuts.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

When Aiden Byrne appeared on Saturday Kitchen he had just opened The Church Green at Lymm ,Cheshire.

As an aside, I thought Aiden was brutally honest in that programme.

I am a big fan of his anyway, but I found him really quite endearing.

AWT was also hilarious with his backhanded complimenting...

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

As an aside, I thought Aiden was brutally honest in that programme.

I am a big fan of his anyway, but I found him really quite endearing.

AWT was also hilarious with his backhanded complimenting...

It made very good viewing.

You begin to understand the real value of an "in the know" agent

I spent nearly five hours with Aiden one night after service,bouncing stories off each other. My dining, His kitchen.My heroes, His heroes.

He's food through and through

Very good luck to them.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1