• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food

MicBacchus

Just saw this today - the premier issue - with a big pic of Mario Batali. It advocates a 'healthy new you'. Any comments?

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

I bought this on a whim last week and it reminded me of something I would have put together for a high school journalism class. The articles all seemed to be repeats from what you've read in other publications and nothing seemed original. I just felt the photography, writing, etc., was all very amateurish. I definitely won't be purchasing it again.

Just saw this today - the premier issue - with a big pic of Mario Batali.  It advocates a 'healthy new you'.  Any comments?

Hi,

"The Food Magazine" has a cover seemingly developed for humor with feature articles that smack of oxymoronic op-ed pieces.

A fat chef, an NFL steakhouse, Ina and pastry. Realy healthy! I wonder if Mario recognizes that vegetable in front of him?

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes, just a look at the website is enough to tell me I'll never buy. They hired this slimy Seth guy? And now I'd have to pay to see him gloat with his shiny forehead next to some (wannabe) chef "reality" guy with exploding hair a 5th grader would be ashamed to sport?

No thanks.

Looks worse than the food network, which is going down the road to absolute mediocrity at astounding speed itself.

Thanks for the warning, won't have to waste my time with this rag in the book store.

As was mentioned, even the website seems to just re-heat long stale leftovers published long ago everywhere else.

Astounding they got funding, now let's just hope they'll disappear just as quickly. There are too many mediocre food magazines out there already.

Just my 2 tsp of course

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say this is easily THE WORST food magazine I've ever seen.

My favourite part is the letter from the publisher where one of the chicks pictured in sexy garb rhapsodizes over finding a parking place when out hopping for the "veggies" on the cover.