• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffles... what do you put them on

SeanDirty

So ive put truffles on many a thing... but i finially got myself a nice camera... and this is the first thing ive put truffles on since the camera....

TRUFFLE Grilled Cheese... on white bread...

gallery_47288_6309_3809.jpg

gallery_47288_6309_15949.jpg

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

You may find something of interest in this thread which looked at uses for truffle oil.

No No No, you got it all wrong. I don't want to hear about dishes i can put truffles in. The point of this thread is the, out of the ordinary.

What do you put truffles in that don't usually have truffles go in, on, around, beside, them.

I don't know whether this will meet your criteria for out of the ordinaryness, but recently I made a truffle burger with a foie gras and truffle melt on top and served it with a truffle risotto. Pictures and more details are here. I also made some killer sandwiches of mi-cuit foie gras melted over truffle slices on lightly grilled toasts.

I don't know whether this will meet your criteria for out of the ordinaryness, but recently I made a truffle burger with a foie gras and truffle melt on top and served it with a truffle risotto.  Pictures and more details are here.  I also made some killer sandwiches of mi-cuit foie gras melted over truffle slices on lightly grilled toasts.

Its close enough Abra, but seriously..... i just nut myself... hahah

Well i know i could never get sick of foie... but im defiantly on a haitias, i got one of my chef buddies to buy me a lobe of foie from Hudson valley foie the other week... the lobe was about 1.75#.... i ate the whole thing....

IN 2 DAYS!!! almost entirely by myself... id have to say i ate at least 1.5# of it by myself... now youd think that maybe just maybe some of that rendered fat escaped and was washed down a drain and maybe i didnt eat the whole lobe per se... but your wrong... i toasted some white bread and sopped up EVERY LAST BIT of it...

Oh and i had bought a bottle of balsamic vin... just some cheap stuff, reduced it and used that as the sauce... no imagination... just strait up foie and balsamic.

You may find something of interest in this thread which looked at uses for truffle oil.

No No No, you got it all wrong. I don't want to hear about dishes i can put truffles in. The point of this thread is the, out of the ordinary.

What do you put truffles in that don't usually have truffles go in, on, around, beside, them.

hmm... I suspect that truffles have been tried with most things and are used with all manner of dishes already, that is the point of the thread I indicated which used truffle oil. Using actual truffles would simply be a more expensive, intensified, version.

Truffled cheese has been around forever. By using shaved truffles with a non-truffled cheese as you did, you've got a variant on a common theme.

I look forward to seeing if anyone comes up with anything new.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

How about deserts Black Truffle Sabayon

I also once made a white truffle ice cream, very nice it's more a savory than a desert as it has a garlicky taste and a bit strange on it's own but with something saulty like caviar or avruga is lovely.

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I recently had some fun w/ some black truffles from tennessee...

Black truffle ice-cream *is* really very nice. It is a bit on the savory side, but just. More putting them 'in' than 'on' though. Can't imagine I'd have the guts to try it with real white truffles, though...

Similarly, given their affinity for eggs and cream, I suspect that any variation on pot de creme / creme brule, creme anglaise, etc., would rock. Not terribly original - James Peterson's _Sauces_ goes on about using them in creme anglaise after all.

put slices of truffle on scallops and top with quails eggs (this is from the Ramsay *** book)

you can also make a truffle cream, (mayo, truffle and cream if i remember)

Truffles scrambled eggs are excellent

I recently had some fun w/ some black truffles from tennessee...

Black truffle ice-cream *is* really very nice.  It is a bit on the savory side, but just.  More putting them  'in' than 'on' though.  Can't imagine I'd have the guts to try it with real white truffles, though...

Similarly, given their affinity for eggs and cream, I suspect that any variation on pot de creme / creme brule, creme anglaise, etc., would rock.  Not terribly original - James Peterson's _Sauces_ goes on about using them in creme anglaise after all.

Thats rather interesting, i'd never think of desert ice cream and truffles... was it tasty??

• 10 months later...

I picked one of these up today at Whole Foods.....one of those things I just HAD to buy.....now I'm kind of unsure what to do with it. I'm thinking just pasta with some butter and freshly grated parmesan reggiano. Is there any better way to highlight this?

• 1 year later...

I was once told by a Michelin starred chef friend that only white truffle should be used for shaving on food and that black truffle should always be incorporated into a warm dish to release its flavour and aroma. But I've found over the years that it really depends on the quality of the black truffle. I am currently taking part in a 10-day gourmet festival and we are served Perigord black winter truffle most nights in at least one dish. They are using much as they would with white Alba truffle and the quality so far has been fantastic, filling the room with the heady aroma with no truffle oil in sight.