• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preparing Ground Turkey

Shel_B

Hi,

I've got some ground turkey in the fridge and will use it to make a turkey-bean chili. Plans have changed and I won't make the chili for a couple of days. Can I brown the turkey and then hold it until it's time to use it or would it be better to freeze the meat?

... Shel

Hi,

I've got some ground turkey in the fridge and will use it to make a turkey-bean chili.  Plans have changed and I won't make the chili for a couple of days.  Can I brown the turkey and then hold it until it's time to use it or would it be better to freeze the meat?

I'd cook it. I find that turkey already has a pronounced flavor and it doesn't get better with time.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Well is it ground already?? if it is... well i'd say freeze it either way if its just for maybe 3 days max. Cooking it... well you only get one chance at cooking it and imparting X flavor... So once you cook it and add it to a dish... well flavor changes...

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

I'd freeze it, at least that's what I do when that happens to me. I agree with Sean, the flavor will change if you cook it up now and then put it in the fridge.

It will of course also age more just in the fridge, not a problem for a day or three, but what if you plans change again? Happens to me frequently, and it'll be just fine in the freezer

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog