• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessicated Coconut - uses for?

RobertM

This is probably a basic question but what uses do you have for dessicated coconut? I have a small quantity here and am at a loss for what to use it in, or even "how" to use it.

Thanks for the information -

Bob

You can use it in coconut macaroons (with regular sweetened flaked coconut); you can use it as a coating for donuts (my former brother in law had a donut shop and once took the rest of my 25# bag of coconut because he'd run out). Make a sort of coconut mousse by making a white chocolate ganache, adding the coconut and some whipped cream....

This is probably a basic question but what uses do you have for dessicated coconut?  I have a small quantity here and am at a loss for what to use it in, or even "how" to use it.

Bob

I use it in clusters. Dark chocolate mixed with the coconut then just drop on parchment in bite size mounds. Also coconut cream bonbons dipped in dark or milk chocolate. :smile:

Pat

i always toast it first to bring out the coconut and use it in a lot of things including what people mention above:

financiers (instead of almond meal)

short dough cookies (to replace some of the flour)

to infuse cream/milk to make custards (ice cream, creme brulee, etc)

etc., etc.

This is probably a basic question but what uses do you have for dessicated coconut?  I have a small quantity here and am at a loss for what to use it in, or even "how" to use it.

Bob

I use it in clusters. Dark chocolate mixed with the coconut then just drop on parchment in bite size mounds. Also coconut cream bonbons dipped in dark or milk chocolate. :smile:

I hadn't thought of that, I thought the coconut for confections should be toasted or the sweetend flake variety - but that does sound like it would be delicious - is dessicated coconut the variety of coconut used in a "mounds" bar???

Bob

I hadn't thought of that, I thought the coconut for confections should be toasted or the sweetend flake variety - but that does sound like it would be delicious - is dessicated coconut the variety of coconut used in a "mounds" bar???

Yes it's the one I use for coconut bars similar to Mounds candies. Everyone that likes coconut really likes them. Have fun with all the idea's given here.

Pat

you can use it for most anything you'd use regular coconut for....I much prefer it btw, it doesn't get stuck in your teeth and packs a big coconut flavor.

My personal favorite, toasted it and make a semifredo with it...some pineapple and tropical friuts...some sort of crunchy cookie-ish base....delicious!