• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heavy Metal In Wine

Don Giovanni

www. Wine 101, Show # 84 TV Seneca Lake TV Heavy Metal In Wine & Know Your Producer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-2oL17_MPY

I want you to know that wine can be very harmful to your health !!! Yes , I said harmful, why...?... because it's not the grapes it's the old equipment...the heavy metals leach into the wine ... go to Google and Google the terms "heavy meals in wine" and you will see for your self...the solution...well if the price is too low this could be flag one...the sure thing is find out all you can about the producer before you drink the wine...use common sense about what you consume...enjoy the video...Cheers !!!

I find it interesting that US wines were not tested ... they say there is there's no source for data on heavy metals in U.S. wines. I wonder how true that is, and if it is true, why such data is gathered. Do wine companies lobby against it?

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I find it interesting that US wines were not tested ... they say there is there's no source for data on heavy metals in U.S. wines. I wonder how true that is, and if it is true, why such data is gathered. Do wine companies lobby against it?

All I know is we test all our wine many times during the whole cycle...that's why you have to know your producer...sad but true...in most cases we just think because we can buy it that it's safe...remember the China fiasco...so again know what you eat and drink the best you can...Cheers !!!

that's why you have to know your producer...sad but true...in most cases we just think because we can buy it that it's safe...remember the China fiasco...so again know what you eat and drink the best you can...Cheers !!!

All of that is true as far as I know. But the question still stands. Why aren't US wines tested and held to the same standards that we apply to imports? My gut tells me that we use different standards of evaluation for imported and domestic wines.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

that's why you have to know your producer...sad but true...in most cases we just think because we can buy it that it's safe...remember the China fiasco...so again know what you eat and drink the best you can...Cheers !!!

All of that is true as far as I know. But the question still stands. Why aren't US wines tested and held to the same standards that we apply to imports? My gut tells me that we use different standards of evaluation for imported and domestic wines.

I know we do have standards I will give you a web site that will tell you each countries limits...like in the USA you can have 359 PPM of SO2 per bottle total we use 55 PPM total...so you see you still have to now your producer... have fum with the site...

The Australian Wine Research Institute's Analytical Service

Click On Me

it's a blast...bottom line we don't have the money nor the manpower to police the rules, very sad...

TC,

Cheers !!!

I must be missing something. I googled the magic words and found reports on a study which came to no conclusion about the origen of the heavy metals in wine. Is there a specific source which identified old equipment as the culprit(other than the video linked in the original post)?

I must be missing something.  I googled the magic words and found reports on a study which came to no conclusion about the origen of the heavy metals in wine.  Is there a specific source which identified old equipment as the culprit(other than the video linked in the original post)?

I found the source of the taint from another source or study...now when I can find it I will post a link...

\

I must be missing something.  I googled the magic words and found reports on a study which came to no conclusion about the origen of the heavy metals in wine.  Is there a specific source which identified old equipment as the culprit(other than the video linked in the original post)?

I found the source of the taint from another source or study...now when I can find it I will post a link...

\

While you are looking, perhaps you can provide some tips on how to get to know the producer well enough to know whether its wine is tainted. When I go into a wine store, I am confronted by hundreds of wines and, while I may know something about a tiny fraction of producers, one thing I won't know is whether any given wine has heavy metals in it. So far as I know, nobody discloses any laboratory results even if the wine is tested for heavy metals and no government agency, at least in the U.S., tests for heavy metals and then posts the results of the tests. Even if I have been buying wine directly from a winery and have formed a close customer/producer relationship with the winery owner, I can't imagine the owner will acknowledge the existence of heavy metals in his or her wine even if present, nor would I expect to be given relevant lab reports if I asked for them. I don't even know if wine is routinely tested for magnesium, etc. What is one realistically to do?