• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Chinese restaurants

Kent Wang

Hong Kong Food Street

Very good Hong Kong cuisine. I posted about it in my eGfoodblog in 2007 (first visit, second). Below are some excerpted photos:

gallery_28661_4880_49063.jpg

Winter melon soup, which is a rich soup cooked inside a winter melon. It is considered one of the most famous dishes of Cantonese cuisine. This had to be ordered a few days in advance.

gallery_28661_4880_67201.jpg

Clams steamed in rice wine. One can find similar versions in Spanish cuisine that use sherry instead of rice wine, French using white whine and Italian using red wine. Rice wine is the least acidic of these and greatly enhances the richness of the broth.

Fuzhou

My parents told me about this place. They heard about it through a Chinese radio ad. I couldn't find any information on Google about it, not even an address. Their phone is 713-995-1889, and it's located in the Di Ho shopping center, north of the Welcome Food Center in Bellaire.

I've been twice now and think this is as good, maybe even better than Hong Kong Food Street, but it's hard to compare as they are different regional cuisines.

More photos, comments, and menu on my Flickr. Some excerpts:

gallery_36558_3077_40078.jpg

Pickled daikon. Superb. Made in-house. Ask if they forget to give it to you as soon as you sit down. It's free, and you can ask for refills.

gallery_36558_3077_29973.jpg

Fuzhou style dumpling soup. Very small dumplings. Quite tasty.

gallery_36558_3077_5494.jpg

Sauteed snails. Will take one person an hour to eat. Very flavorful and fresh. Needs to be eaten with toothpicks; ask if they forget to provide you with some.

gallery_36558_3077_7126.jpg

Frog with salt and pepper. Great. Like tiny fried chicken legs. Their salt and pepper technique is the best I've ever had, better than T&S Seafood (Austin). Light, airy batter.

Business has been really slow the two times I've been there, so am a little concerned it might close. Please pay them a visit, for their sake and yours!