• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Peterson

tirgoddess

"Cooking" is the best all-purpose, educational, beautiful cookbook around. I can't recommend it too highly.

In my bridal shower-attending years I've given "Joy" then Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" to cooking illiterate brides. Now, no contest. "Cooking" is brilliant and belongs on the shelves of experienced cooks as well as novices. If there's a cookbook I'd holler "Buy!" about these days, this would be it.

I trust I made my enthusiasm clear.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 3 weeks later...

I think Cooking is so good, I have two copies, one for the house and one for the cottage so I don't have to lug it back and forth. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I just reviewed Cooking on The Gastronomer's Bookshelf. I certainly think it is excellent in many respects, but it is by no means flawless -- the photographs are sometimes less helpful than they first seem, the text is exclusively for USAmerican readers (a pity in such a good book), and I had some reservations about how complete novices would manage with it. But for sure, worthy of having as an important guide. Peterson is a very good communicator.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."