• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Im landing at  Gatwick at 8.30pm on a Wednesday. Is there any chance of a decent meal in the surrounding area?

in all honesty it is unlikely, by the time you got out of passport control it would be 9:15pm would be too late to get into London and back, Croydon the nearest town has one good restaurant but is is a warzone in the evening and Brighton would be 10pm before you arrived so just that bit too far to get there and back.

Im landing at  Gatwick at 8.30pm on a Wednesday. Is there any chance of a decent meal in the surrounding area?

in all honesty it is unlikely, by the time you got out of passport control it would be 9:15pm would be too late to get into London and back, Croydon the nearest town has one good restaurant but is is a warzone in the evening and Brighton would be 10pm before you arrived so just that bit too far to get there and back.

whats the one good one in Croydon?

Cassoulet, but i think your be cutting it fine, thats another 25-30 mins from reigate

avoid gravetye if i was you!

Avoid gravetye if i was you!

Why avoid Gravetye? I hope it's not that bad. Am booked in there for a couple of nights next week...

Hi christopher,

I was in gatwick last week and stayed in a little b&b 5 mins from the airport gatwick house.Lovely pub that had a fine menu and extensive wine menu with restaurant upstairs YE OLDE SIX BELLS in horley last orders 9.30pm

Maybe it will suit you have a look online dont have there website

Regards,

Brian.