• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gaston Acurio on path to world domination

The more I read about him, the more I find incredible the pace at which Peru's Gaston Acurio is opening restaurants here, there and everywhere.

Recent example: La Mar Cebicheria Peruana in San Francisco (sept. 2008). I've heard São Paulo is next.

Today there's a great story on him in the L.A. Times, here's the link

Question: does anyone out there have the contact info for his P.R. people?

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

The more I read about him, the more I find incredible the pace at which Peru's Gaston Acurio is opening restaurants here, there and everywhere.

Recent example: La Mar Cebicheria Peruana in San Francisco (sept. 2008). I've heard São Paulo is next. 

According to the article - he's not opening the restaurants. They're franchise operations. Robyn

Ate at Gaston,s restaurant in Santiago,Chile was very dissapointing, Sau Paulo does not him.

Sorry, Robyn, but I think you're mistaken. The only mention of franchises I found in the article cited above was this:

"The decision to take La Mar to America ahead of his other franchises, which include the white-linen Astrid y Gastón and the fast-food Peruvian sandwich joint Hermanos Pasquale, was a conscious one."

And by America the writer means the US. I doubt VERY MUCH that the Sao Paulo restaurant will be a franchise in which Acurio has little say. In fact, even in the other franchises, I am sure he's quite involved and is a part-owner, even if he is backed by investors.

That being said, I still don't have the contact of his P.R. people.

anyone?

Alexandra Forbes

Official Website

Question: does anyone out there have the contact info for his P.R. people? Alex  after eating in his restaurant in Chile, I am convinced  his P. R. firm is the real chef, his food is not even close to Alex Atala or many non recognized chefs . This hype reminds me of the Ferran Adria myth where most real food critics realize his food is all flash and no substance.

Hi Gagit, I believe you, but I still want to contact him to find out more about the Sao Paulo opening.... thanks! ps. how was Tordesilhas?

he is opening the one in Sao Paolo, just visit his facebook page, he posts pictures of all his new venues on there. He is also opening Tanta in Dallas. I envy the guy, as a Peruvian chef myself, I can not wait to be where he is at.

Sorry, Robyn, but I think you're mistaken. The only mention of franchises I found in the article cited above was this:

"The decision to take La Mar to America ahead of his other franchises, which include the white-linen Astrid y Gastón and the fast-food Peruvian sandwich joint Hermanos Pasquale, was a conscious one."

And by America the writer means the US. I doubt VERY MUCH that the Sao Paulo restaurant will be a franchise in which Acurio has little say. In fact, even in the other franchises, I am sure he's quite involved and is a part-owner, even if he is backed by investors.

That being said, I still don't have the contact of his P.R. people.

anyone?

This is the Wikipedia article that discusses the franchises. He doesn't seem to have a lot of skin in the game - except for his name. Robyn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, Robyn. It turns out my friend Patricia Ferraz, who edits the most important newspaper section in Brazil, O Estado de Sao Paulo's PALADAR, wrote a big piece on ceviches this week. In it she says

"La Mar (...) In Brazil the business has as partner Alexandre Miqui, who owns Shimo. (...) A Peruvian chef is already in Brazil training the team."

The Sao Paulo La Mar will be in the Itaim district, and will serve 6 different ceviches, among other things.

Alexandra Forbes

Official Website

Thanks for the link, Robyn. It turns out my friend Patricia Ferraz, who edits the most important newspaper section in Brazil, O Estado de Sao Paulo's PALADAR, wrote a big piece on ceviches this week. In it she says

"La Mar (...) In Brazil the business has as partner Alexandre Miqui, who owns Shimo. (...) A Peruvian chef is already in Brazil training the team."

The Sao Paulo La Mar will be in the Itaim district, and will serve 6 different ceviches, among other things.

You're welcome. In my experience - it is sometimes possible for a restaurant with a famous chef to be terrific even if the famous chef isn't in the kitchen (like with Gordon Ramsay RHR). *IF* the chef has money in the game. But if all you're doing is selling your name - I think the results are - in my experience - uneven or worse.

FWIW - I am not a huge fan of ceviche at restaurants. It is very easy to make at home - and usually too acidic for my taste. And there is so much more to Peruvian food. I had a Peruvian housekeeper for about 7 years - she was a really good cook- and used to bring us lots of home-made Peruvian dishes. Also - my husband's Spanish tutor (for about 5 years) was from Peru - and she used to do the same thing. So we have more than than a nodding acquaintance with Peruvian food. Not to mention that Peruvian Spanish is "muy puro" (my husband's Spanish is terrific). Robyn

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Gagit, I believe you, but I still want to contact him to find out more about the Sao Paulo opening.... thanks! ps. how was Tordesilhas?just went to dalva but only go to Tordeshilhas with you, need the star treatment.

• 1 month later...

The São Paulo La Mar is now officially open. It's been getting tons of press in Brazil. I posted photos of it here.

There's a lot more information - including an interview with Acurio himself - available here, but this link is only for those who can read Portuguese!

I am not sure whether Acurio realizes that Sao Paulo natives are crazy for raw fish and total sushi-holics, so even though he's not serving anything Japanese, he'll have very high standards to meet if he wants to please the locals.

I don't think there is any city in the world that serves better sushi outside of Japan. Let's see how mr. Acurio's ceviches and tiraditos will measure up.

But then again, São Paulo is my city and I am a bit biased.. :)

Alexandra Forbes

Official Website

• 2 months later...

Hola

Alex ....esto se pondra mejor Ceviches, Tiraditos, Anticuchos, Tamales, mondonguito, seco de cordero y mas....por venir

a la conquista del mundo

Gaston esta haciendo la segunda feria gastronomica en Lima ..