• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

7-Minute Frosting vs. August Heat

FlourPower

A friend is getting married in August and is planning an outdoor wedding in the Midwest. Obviously, she'll want a cake and right now the best we can come up with in terms of frosting is 7 minute. Fondant's not an option.

First, how long will 7 minute frosting hold up? Second, any experience, insight, anecdotes about outdoor weddings in the summer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Is it late in the evening? I mean if the cake is not used as the focal point of the reception and is kept indoors until serving it's much less stressful.

You can make a mosquito netting thing for it to keep off insects similar to this. Just pray it's not windy.

I think 7-minute icing is a gnat magnet and would be very difficult for me to consider because of the stickiness. A crusting buttercream is better.

My motto is just say no to outdoor receptions or do it reasonable and just serve cake forget the focal part thing.

Brides often choose cream cheese icing for outdoor weddings. :rolleyes:

Brides often choose cream cheese icing for outdoor weddings. rolleyes.gif

You don't accommodate that request, do you? That's nuts. I don't put cream cheese icing on the outside of ANY wedding cake.....heat or not. I do put it inside as a filling though.

I don't have much experience with 7 minute icing, but I can say it's hard to get a nice smooth look on the cake with that stuff. It has the consistency of sticky marshmallows.....K8 has a good point about it acting like flypaper.

Is there a reason you have ruled out buttercream? If you make it 50% butter and 50% shortening, it should hold up to heat......reasonably. :smile:

No of course not.

I don't know brides just think that the physical laws that govern every other day of the world will not apply on their big day. Sun and sand are not a factor for them.

I say that the cake is guaranteed to be delivered to the cake table at the appointed time and therein ends my responsibility. Uneven tables, insects, the wind, birdies flying overhead making droplets, the heat including melting cake, as well as moving the cake after delivery are all out of my purview.