• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hells Kitchen US season 5 [2009]

Toufas

:laugh:

I agree.  This is pure trash TV.  Some of the competitors are so ridiculously idiotic (culinarily and otherwise) that my faith in humanity suffered a tiny blow.  I don't know that I'll ever be the same.

Actually, considering the network it airs on...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was half-watching this episode when the "Culinary instructor" was yipping about being old (what is she, 41?). And I now will love Ramsay forever for calling her out about her complete lack of credentials for being a cooking teacher. don't worry, I won't get back on my soapbox about this .. but for god's sake. And to get all sassy with him -- I teach manners, too? -- means that she needs to get some instruction on that as well.

that said? I don't know if I'll watch any more. My husband came running over to see the "pretty girl who can cook," and said, "is that her?" LOL!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I was half-watching this episode when the "Culinary instructor" was yipping about being old (what is she, 41?).  And I now will love Ramsay forever for calling her out about her complete lack of credentials for being a cooking teacher.  don't worry, I won't get back on my soapbox about this .. but for god's sake.  And to get all sassy with him -- I teach manners, too? -- means that she needs to get some instruction on that as well.

that said? I don't know if I'll watch any more.  My husband came running over to see the "pretty girl who can cook," and said, "is that her?" LOL!

I don't understand why this woman would jeopardize her business by admitting her lack of training to Ramsay. Surely show told her students that she was selected for the show, and just as surely her students watched and saw her glaring shortcomings in the kitchen.

Just plain dumb if you ask me.

I don't understand why this woman would jeopardize her business by admitting her lack of training to Ramsay. Surely show told her students that she was selected for the show, and just as surely her students watched and saw her glaring shortcomings in the kitchen.

I don't understand how any chef serious about their career and reputation would want to appear on this show. Yes, amazing grand prize, but they all always come across as untalented hacks with no skill in the kitchen, unable to even complete a dinner service without almost killing someone.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I really like it when they introduce someone as "joe schmuck, 23, executive chef from..." So, I guess that means the short-order cook from Jim's Diner is really the executive chef, huh?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So, I guess that means the short-order cook from Jim's Diner is really the executive chef, huh?

Could be. Depends if you want to go with the popular or the literal definition of the position.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I am just shameless...I watch the show for the pure joy of watching GR twist off at these people. I mean, what was up with the chick that walked out wanting to go home when the whole thing just began? I agree with everyone, the nerve of that women trying to teach manners to GR...um, NOT a good idea! When they said she was a culinary instructor I was thinking from a real school, not her own classes that she charges for. I really think they find maybe one or two contenders (the one lady that cooked with her father and wanted to make him proud, the other that made the veal rolls that was well liked, although the comment about being pretty was a riot) then the rest of the people are there just to make Ramsey scream.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

She's about par for the course, and the people who take her classes,I'm sure,know no better. She'll get a lot of mileage out of the mean old Brit who is just not understanding her genius. Kind of like Simon and the American Idol wannabes.

I'd be humiliated if I were her, but 90% of the culinary instructors I meet are so lame that I don't think they get it,either.

So, if this means that Gordon Ramsay will continue to point out that this person has her head up her mannerly heinie and shake his head that she has the audacity to charge people to teach them the same, goodie for me. I hope. All Iknow is, I'm watching for as long as this woman is on!

Selfishly,

Fabby

who knows this mean-girl attitude will bite her in her own heinie!

PS -- Corporate buffet chef? WTF is that?

Some companies have employees cafeterias with cold and hot buffets - Saks and Google are 2 examples.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Some companies have employees cafeterias with cold and hot buffets - Saks and Google are 2 examples.

I figured as much, but was hoping someone would tellme it was, um,not that.

So that means I was a pizza chef when I was 16? Kewl! I had no idea.

Just ruminating how this season's train wrecks will start shaping up. The cooking instructor with the enchilada dish that was a hot mess? Oh, that has disaster written all over it. But the corporate buffet chef who can't even handle the ice cream maker? Jesus. Whiny little cow. I think Ramsay is gunning for Seth, a/k/a "Forrest", though. Tonight's ep should be replete with the usual slightly nauseating but horrifically riveting elements we all have come to know and . . . uhh . . . "love". Oh, God. I should feel SO ashamed of myself . . .!

Fox TV, making the arrogant and stupid look.... well...  arrogant and stupid

Collen Cleek, the cooking instructer just does not seem to clue-in and seems shameless about self-promotion... Her website is kind of amusing, in a pathetic way....

Owner Colleen Cleek is a Columnist for One Magazine writing Food For Thought and contributing recipes to several local news stations and publications, she is also the KETV-7 Local Food & Wine Expert and the Host of The Classy Gourmet Television show. Since its inception The Classy Gourmet has had a unique focus on business in the Omaha community, offering such services as; Team Building, Corporate Events, Private Events, Holiday Parties, and Boutique Catering. Our website is filled with delightful photographs, we hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I keep watching this show. I guess it's the 'train-wreck'

aspect that keeps me coming back.

We need to say buh-bye to Colleen, Lacey, and . . . omg . . . Seth.

Why the hell is that dude still around? :laugh:

Too bad "the one who broke her ankle" (can't remember her name) had

to bow out so early. My early money was on her.

I don't know why I keep watching this show.  I guess it's the 'train-wreck'

aspect that keeps me coming back.

We need to say buh-bye to Colleen, Lacey, and  . . . omg . . . Seth.

Why the hell is that dude still around?  :laugh:

Too bad "the one who broke her ankle" (can't remember her name) had

to bow out so early.  My early money was on her.

Heh, I was just coming here to post what a train wreck this show is! Totally agree that Ji seemed to be the only contestant with any talent. Of course, it all comes down to editing. She shone in that ep, but I have to wonder how she would have been portrayed if she'd never hurt her ankle and had stuck around. We'd probably be hating on her too.

I just caught up on the last ep last night. Okay, I agree Charlie was a mess in the dining room, but was he THAT bad in the kitchen? Seems to me the decision to send him home was more about drama than about who was the better chef. I couldn't believe it when Seth tried to hide the meat he wasted. And wasn't he nominated the first week too?

As for the women, Lacey and Colleen have no business competing to be a head chef of anything. (Is the prize still a head chef position?) What kills me most about Lacey is how combative she is with the other contestants if anyone dare says she's not pulling her weight or isn't as skilled as someone else, and yet she can always be counted on to whine "I can't doooooo thiiiiiis...." in every ep. Ugh.

Going back to last week, I felt so bad for Robert (the big guy) when he wasn't allowed to fly over to the island with the other guys. But it was just salt in the wound to tell him to go ahead and take the ferry over and meet them there, and then have him turn right back around and head back without actually getting to participate in the challenge reward. GR is a dick.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?