• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lucky Garden Lunar New Year Event Report

Chris Amirault

gallery_19804_437_63175.jpg

So unassuming, the little strip mall facade behind which lurks Lucky Garden. And what a fantastic meal we had, yet again, for Lunar New Year on January 25. A baker's dozen of us circled the table and placed ourselves in the hands of Rose, our crack server, daughter of manager Sherri, and a member of the clan that runs the terrific North Providence institution.

No shots of the group, I'm afraid; but here's most of the food lineup. Braised lamb with black mushrooms and tofu sheets, a big favorite at the table:

gallery_19804_437_95480.jpg

Skin-on pork leg -- I think it's a lower hock and foot -- braised over lettuce, another big favorite:

gallery_19804_437_17169.jpg

We had several people attending who hadn't had a lot of Chinese food, so we were sure to include a lot of basic classics like pea pod leaves, clams in black bean sauce, and har gow:

gallery_19804_437_135785.jpg

Tofu-wrapped shrimp and chive rolls:

gallery_19804_437_68805.jpg

Chicken feet:

gallery_19804_437_114754.jpg

Char siu bao, perfect as always:

gallery_19804_437_96224.jpg

And the hit of the meal, a steamed flounder that astonished all with its simplicity and intensity of flavor:

gallery_19804_437_39747.jpg

We ended with a trio of desserts: egg custard tarts, a pineapple cake-let, and these amazing red bean coconut New Year cakes:

gallery_19804_437_22211.jpg

We also had choi sum as a vegetable side, scallion pancakes, Shangai soup dumplings, some steamed vegetarian dumplings, fried taro root fritters with five spice pork and shrimp.... I may have missed something; hopefully another participant will chime in with more details I've missed!

Thanks to all contributors to this great event; thanks to Lucky Garden for the astonishing meal!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Let me also add my thanks, Chris, for organizing the gathering. Good food and good conversation both. Definitely worthy of the annual event it seems to have become!

The flounder was indeed the star of the meal but everything was delicious--though somehow I missed the taro root fritters you mention here, and I love taro root.

This in from Haven, a non-member (not yet!) who joined our event:

That cozy corner of a Chinese restaurant, with those intriguing dishes coming one after another and crowding the enormous lazy susan in the center of the table; the 13 dramatically different guests joining together in taste sensations and some conversation--where else to learn that other cooks also hate it that their ginger gets disgusting quickly and how to prepare it without a grater--and so attached to the table and the experience, it was hard for people to leave--sort of stuck to the table, I guess.  Chicken feet, pig's feet, pork bellies (now I understand a little bit more about pork belly futures), majestic bean paste New Year Cake, that fabulous noodle dish with its light and significant spices, the little  swirly pastries with the chopped meat and veg ingredients, and I never had a tofu sheet in my life.  It was a way-way out of the ordinary experience for me; many thanks for including me in it.

Thanks again to all the participants. We raised $120 for the Society!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Chris, I think you left out the pork belly in your report. :shock: It was my favorite. :wub: The tofu wrapped shrimp rolls were my other favorite I think...or maybe the little cakes at the end. It was a great time and great food and I'm so glad me and Patrick could make it out this year.

Bagel?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...