• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's worth it, right?

dividend

Dividend, great story about your roast, I'm glad it turned out so well. If there's a lesson there, maybe it's that cooking doesn't have to be complicated unless you want it to be. Sometimes you want to challenge yourself, play with the unfamiliar--for me, that is a luxury when time is tight. Other days, no need to put pressure on yourself. It's okay if you only have time for a little S&P, evoo, and to preheat the oven or broiler.

Come up with your own version of fast food. Mine is broiling some fish with soy or miso glaze, and steamed or blanched vegetables. Including prep, ready to eat in 20 minutes.

For me, if I could farm out any food related task on weeknights, it would be the grocery shopping. I'd rather spend the time in the kitchen. If he doesn't like to cook, maybe DBF could be the designated shopper.

Come up with your own version of fast food.

For me, if I could farm out any food related task on weeknights, it would be the grocery shopping. I'd rather spend the time in the kitchen. If he doesn't like to cook, maybe DBF could be the designated shopper.

I have my fallbacks that are quick and easy. Roasted shrimp and broccoli over rice, several pasta sauces that come together in the time the pasta cooks. Frozen soups/lasagne slices are awesome, as is homemade macaroni and cheese wedges. It's not as gooey as when it's fresh, but it's great with some sirhacha.

I like grocery shopping, but I do it once a week, normally on Saturday after breakfast. If I sent DBF, I would spend more time making the list incredibly specific than it would take to just go. For myself, I can write "yogurt", and I know it means a large container of a certain brand, full fat variety. I would also miss the spontaneity of being able to put "fruit" on the list, knowing that it means whatever looks good at a good price that will fit in our lunch boxes. I also don't shop for stuff on a regular basis, so I kind of enjoy picking stuff out and spending money on it.

I seem to struggle with cooking/meal planning burnout on a cyclical basis. The suggestions and coping strategies are a good thing.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

It doesnt work to have someone else shop. We've been trying.

you dont have the mental list of whats in the house in your head.

you dont get the seasonal stuff you are inspired by

etc.

Sometimes, like getting staples, someone else can carry the weight.

But the time saved is lost in navigating the shelves, fridge adn freezer trying to guess what's been purchased.

Glad the beef came out well!

I love roast beef.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Along the theme of shopping... is it possible to go together?

Some time ago, when my children were young, I reached a point of menu planning burn-out. This situation coincided with some relationship and work issues. To resolve, my then-partner and I opted to start grocery shopping together. Without children in tow, we did not need to rush. The $5 (per hour) babysitter was a worthy investment in time spent together, once a week. By shopping together, we also ended up planning some meals together, and by default, dividing the actual work of cooking. I love to cook, but I'm not so good at planning ahead...

Karen Dar Woon