• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bacon Explosion

DanM

Bacon is not always "bacon" - at least to some folks from other countries.

What we know as "bacon" here in the US is streaky bacon in the UK.

A friend, whose mother is visiting from England (Norfolk) was decrying the fatty bacon available in our local supermarkets.

I found this, Peameal Back Bacon posted on another forum by a Toronto, CA expat, printed it out and yesterday they made a pilgrimage to Bristol Farms Market (very upscale grocery store) in South Pasadena and came home with four packages of it. I have been promised a hunk when they cut into it tomorrow.

Today they are spending the day at Universal City.

In my opinion this is probably a noble end for a pork loin. I recall seeing an earlier thread about doing this at home but haven't looked for it.

I love bacon in all its manifestations - long may it reign!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Time's Josh Ozersky weighs in on Denny's Baconalia: In Defense of Bacon: What Denny's Doesn't Get

Really, though, we've all seen it before. Consumers, certainly, are unlikely to be impressed by either the menu or the wordy, unfunny manifesto that announced it. A few people extra will eat at Denny's out of curiosity, but most Denny's customers aren't there for the first time, or the last. This promotion, like so many in recent years, is a cheap attempt to milk a bacon fad that, in reality, ended years ago.

So wait: now that Time has announced that Bacon Is Dead, is bacon cool again? I'm confused.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Time's Josh Ozersky weighs in on Denny's Baconalia: In Defense of Bacon: What Denny's Doesn't Get

Really, though, we've all seen it before. Consumers, certainly, are unlikely to be impressed by either the menu or the wordy, unfunny manifesto that announced it. A few people extra will eat at Denny's out of curiosity, but most Denny's customers aren't there for the first time, or the last. This promotion, like so many in recent years, is a cheap attempt to milk a bacon fad that, in reality, ended years ago.

So wait: now that Time has announced that Bacon Is Dead, is bacon cool again? I'm confused.

There are a great many people who will take up bacon again simply BECAUSE Time says it is "dead" or whatever their point.

I've seen several local restaurants resurrect some old dishes, such as jalapenos stuffed with cheese and wrapped with bacon and bacon-wrapped salmon that disappeared from the menu at one place only to reappear a couple of months later because of so many customers requests. And they have added bacon-wrapped "spring" asparagus bundles!

Out here on the left coast, we don't pay much attention to Time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 11 months later...

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 3 years later...

For all of you hockey & bacon admirers:

"Here’s a Stanley Cup Made Entirely Out of Bacon"

A Montreal restaurant called Bar Brutus managed to construct this beautiful monstrosity. It’s both utterly disgusting and purely magical all at once. 

Mmm...Stanley Cup 'o' Bacon [/Homer Simpson]

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver