• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bacon Explosion

DanM

Is it just me, or is the bacon-worship thing starting to get a little tired? I mean, I like bacon as much as the next guy. Scratch that, I probably like bacon more than the next guy. But it seems like bacon-worship was the "everything with 10 cloves of garlic" of its era.

--

Is it just me, or is the bacon-worship thing starting to get a little tired?  I mean, I like bacon as much as the next guy.  Scratch that, I probably like bacon more than the next guy.  But it seems like bacon-worship was the "everything with 10 cloves of garlic" of its era.

I think bacon may have jumped the shark...

Typically by the time a trend gets recognized by the New York Times it is already on the decline among the people who actually drove the trend. But you will now have tons of out-of-touch people finally realizing there's a bacon trend, even though the discussion among early adopters is about how bacon has jumped the shark, pig, whatever.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Plus, I think this has been around awhile longer. I went to a BBQ seminar with a competitive team and they showed us basically this same thing and several variations. Breakfast sausage around HB eggs and mapel syrup bacon. Chorizo stuffed with olives and wrapped in bacon (or pancetta? I don't remember). And more. All of them smoked for a few hours. As I recall, they were like team snacks or breakfast foods during competition.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Those of us who were Bacon of the Month Club early adopters in 1999 are now too busy obsessing about Japanese knives to bother with bacon.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Bacon can't jump the shark. It's bacon. Even when that 10% that consider themselves the harbinger of all things cool in food decide it's no longer cool, the other 90% of us will still love it. In fact, so will that 10%. They'll just have to pretend they don't in public. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I can not read that there is a GIANT piece of bacon in the way!

never made it into one of these things but I have seen versions all over the web

I dont know that I would but I would taste a piece for sure

I love bacon but really in a pan friend or in a big pot of something seasoned

ok and a BLT

ok around a chicken liver or jalepeno pepper stuffed with cheese and grilled

ok with peanut butter

ok I could eat it most anyway

since coming to this board I have not even purchased it because I make all the bacon we eat and am always disapointed when I try store bought bacon anymore

fact is I just woke up thinking I need to make some bacon and look I find a bacon conversation so it must still be cool to eat bacon :smile: (like I would care!)

thanks you guys :smile:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

For anyone else who wants to make a kosher one, I am doing it.

You can replace the italian sausage with a mixture of ground dark turkey meat and beef. then season it in accordance with a basic italian sausage recipe (fennel seeds, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, oregano, hot pepper flakes to taste).

Replace the bacon with Tirat Zvi brand Beef Prosciutto, and you are all set.

It will not weave because the pieces are shorter, but it will wrap OK.

Shabbat Shalom!

Is it just me, or is the bacon-worship thing starting to get a little tired?  I mean, I like bacon as much as the next guy.  Scratch that, I probably like bacon more than the next guy.  But it seems like bacon-worship was the "everything with 10 cloves of garlic" of its era.

I just don't want to eat anything called a "bacon explosion." That has to be the worst recipe name since the Tunnel of Fudge cake.

There was an explosion of bacon somewhere? Yum!!

But seriously, I find it silly when something as basic as bacon or garlic has some sort of resurgence. These are staples to me. I wasn't aware it was ever out of fashion.

Will butter be the new black next?

• 1 year later...

I like bacon as much as the next guy. Scratch that, I probably like bacon more than the next guy.

Perhaps. But if I'm standing next to you, I'll wager on "next guy."

For the true bacon enthusiast...the WAKE n' BACON alarm clock. (clickety)

Also for enthusiasts of certain vegetation...

Bacon will never jump the shark -- it's bacon. Best smell in the world -- waking up to the aroma of coffee and bacon. Bacon will never be passé.

However, $50/lb. truffle-infused fancy-pants bacon will probably disappear from the food landscape.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

However, $50/lb. truffle-infused fancy-pants bacon will probably disappear from the food landscape.

The number of fancy-pants bacons that have turned up in recent years is amazing... and the (much, much) smaller number of them that actually represent an improvement on $4/lb Oscar Mayer is also amazing, and amusing.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

For the young bacon lover in us all:

"My First Bacon" plush (clickety)

Product Specifications:

-Velveteen pork flesh and super soft fleece fat

-Says "I'm bacon!" when you squeeze him

:laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 11 months later...

For those not too tired of bacon, bacon flavored microwave popcorn.

And for those staying late at the office, bacon flavored "Mmmvelopes" (envelopes).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Typically by the time a trend gets recognized by the New York Times it is already on the decline among the people who actually drove the trend. But you will now have tons of out-of-touch people finally realizing there's a bacon trend, even though the discussion among early adopters is about how bacon has jumped the shark, pig, whatever.

If bacon is a trend, then my family must have been VERY early adopters. My grandfather ate bacon at every meal and my father followed in his footsteps until the doctors made him stop.

It's gotten way out of hand.

There's a bar in Brooklyn that advertises bacon-infused vodka. 0.o

I don't suppose "moderation" is a word that exists in their dictionary, eh?

Bacon infused vodka goes great in a Bloody.