• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The brilliant petit-four idea that wasn't

cfm

I'm not sure that we can have much of a discussion about this, but I'm bursting to share this idea with someone, anyone at all. After a very lovely tasting menu at a restaurant somewhere in the North of England, the chocolates arrived. As we explored them it looked initially as if they were cunningly themed to echo ingredients from the courses in the meal we had just had. As we went on, the correspondence broke down and the bubble burst. But wouldn't it be great if they had?!

Catherine

I'm not sure that we can have much of a discussion about this, but I'm bursting to share this idea with someone, anyone at all.  After a very lovely tasting menu at a restaurant somewhere in the North of England, the chocolates arrived.  As we explored them it looked initially as if they were cunningly themed to echo ingredients from the courses in the meal we had just had.  As we went on, the correspondence broke down and the bubble burst. But wouldn't it be great if they had?!

Catherine

It's not the same thing, but Manresa in Los Gatos does something fairly cool as well - at the beginning of the meal they start you with an amuse of petit fours that has a red pepper pate d'fruit and a black olive madeline; at the end of the meal, they bring the exact same petit fours, except its a strawberry pate d'fruit and a chocolate madeline. Nice touch.

• 2 years later...