• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fresh herbs

Can anyone recommend anywhere in London which consistently stocks anything other than the usual suspects? Thanks.

Booths in borough market is a good source (they have chervil for example) and occasionally have other oddities such as borage

I knew it! Theres a purpose to watching Ready Steady Cook.

http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/

Have you used them yet? Maybe an aberration but, I had a shocking experience last year. Don't bank on them always having your preferred stock and order far earlier than you think you'll need your herbs- took them a month to send my order. Some of the plants had also bolted so were of little use.

It aint cheap either

Maybe others have had better luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Can anyone recommend anywhere in London which consistently stocks anything other than the usual suspects? Thanks.

If you are in London and don't mind an early morning or late night why don’t you have a look in Nine Elms fruit and veg market. In the Growers Pavilion you will find R&G Stevens herb stand. They have a fantastic range and you can buy any quantity from supermarket size packs upwards.

If you walk into the market it is free, if you want to drive in they charge £4. My daughter says get there between 12.30am and 5.30am their stock is fresh in every night .

Check out www.rgherbs.com

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link