• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Hermé's "Macarons"

Scout_21

I was trying to get this book and I'm thinking about getting it via Amazon Fr. because Amazon Ca. has it at 117 Canadian dollars. Is there are any other way to get this? How much does shipping cost from France to US?

This what I paid last month. I think your shipping charge should be less:

Articles commandés Prix

1 ex. de : MACARON [broché]

de Pierre Hermé, et al

Etat : Neuf - Nouveau

Vendu par : librairie_coiffard (profil vendeur)

EUR 29,90

Articles : EUR 29,90

Livraison : EUR 10,99

-----

Total : EUR 40,89

-----

Montant total pour cet envoi : EUR 40,89

--

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I just ordered it last week from Amazon France for shipping to the US. Shipping was EUR 10.90. Here's the breakdown in price:

1 ex. de : MACARON [broché]

de Pierre Hermé, et al

Etat : Neuf - Nouveau

Vendu par : Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

EUR 26,92

Articles : EUR 26,92

Livraison : EUR 10,90

-----

Total HT : EUR 37,82

TVA : EUR 0,00

-----

Total : EUR 37,82

-----

Montant total pour cet envoi : EUR 37,82

-----

Looks to me that now that's it's out in softcover it should become more available in North America. Of course it's still in french.

I just received my copy from Amazon France today and it's hardback. I thought that for the price it would be softcover, but was pleasantly surprised.

So amazon france will ship to the US? I just wanted to clairify because I see it is in stock right now....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

So amazon france will ship to the US? I just wanted to clairify because I see it is in stock right now....

If it is sold by Amazon LLC 100% yes. If it is a vendor, someone that Amazon handles the sale for but nots its own stock. a reseller of new or used merchandise it is up to that individuals preference. If its the same entity that sold me mine, then yes.

Macaron If this is the page you are ordering from, its from Amazon itself and you are good to go.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Thank you aloha and cm, now if they stay in stock until the ole' payday comes... :rolleyes: WOOOOOHOOOOOO!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone have more info on whether or not Macaron is still going to be published in English? Also I see that a new Herme book is coming out this fall. On amazon.fr it's listed as "Infiniment Pierre Hermé" with an ISBN of 978-2353260867 and on amazon.ca it's listed as "Nouveaux secrets gourmands" with an ISBN of 978-2353260867... so same book but with different names?

• 2 months later...

I got this email from Kitchen Arts and Letters today:

Greetings,

We're very pleased to be able to say that Pierre Herme's Macaron has finally been reprinted and that we have copies in stock.

These are French-language copies, available at $69.95 (formerly $74.95).

If you'd still like a copy (and we know some people have been waiting for a long time), we'd be delighted to send it to you. The most secure way to order is by telephone (212-876-5550) or by fax (212-876-3584). If you prefer to email us with your information, we can accept payment by Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. We suggest that you break your credit card number into two separate emails; please also include the expiration date, the security code from the back of the card, and of course the address to which we should send the book. Shipping costs will depend on your distance from New York.

Good wishes,

Nach Waxman

Owner

Matt Sartwell

Manager

• 2 months later...

Has there been any confirmation of the English translation yet, or should I give up waiting and order the French version? Given all this time, has anyone completed a translation they are willing to share so I don't have to start from scratch?

Ok, I bit the bullet and bought the French version.

Then I scanned some pages and attempted to OCR them with Free OCR. It would only ORC into English, even after I downloaded the French language pack for it. So I had to copy the text into MS Word and start replacing the accented characters. It's VERY slow going. Does anyone have a copy of the translated text they could send me to save me a hundred hours of translation work?

So many books are not translated from French that I'm going to learn the language, but that isn't going to be of use to me for some time.

• 4 months later...

So it looks like Macaron will be translated to English and be published this autumn by Grub Street of London...

Very well spotted!

And even the price is sane ...

Now for the first time, all the macaron recipes from this most celebrated French patissier are published in English. The French language edition has been one of the most sought after cookbooks of recent years. And just like Pierre Herme's famous macarons, it would be difficult for any macaron book to surpass this one. There are 200 pages of recipes and beautiful food photography, and because making macarons is mostly about technique, rather than just a standard recipe, readers will appreciate the 32-step-by-step photo-illustrated instructions for making shells and fillings.

Available now for pre-order on Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macarons-Pierre-Herme/dp/1908117230/

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I couldn't order it on Amazon...it just had the option to email me when it was available...where did you guys get yours?

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know why this book (in English) is in such short supply?? It was just printed,I thought. Amazon (US) never seemed to carry the new translation..it just went to the Marketplace for huge amounts...Thanks...

Dunno... Looks like its an import though. I think Grub Street are mainly a UK imprint, so no local US publication?

You might want to try putting an order in on Amazon UK and getting it shipped to the US if its a local UK edition, though it may take longer to arrive? I've had hard to print books shipped from Amazon.com to London so I assume vice versa works. Also will allow you to take advantage of the strong dollar.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!