• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamersley's Bistro...ICK! What happened?

glauer

I went to Hamersley's tonight after not having eaten there for I think 5 years.

All in all a very pleasant experience.

I guess the only thing that irritates me about the place is its reputation as a top notch dining destination. Even if the food was perfectly executed it would still be quite simple and rustic fare. Nothing wrong with that, and they surely make a lot of people happy. But based on what one reads online and in a variety of publications I would have expected something very different had I not been there before.

We had:

For appetizers the Duck Liver Mousse and the Greens with Goat Cheese. Apart from the fact that the mousse was in reality a terrine both dishes were fine and tasty, if not overly exciting.

Then we had the classic Roast Chicken and Braised Rabbit in Pinot Noir. The chicken was very nicely flavored from the lemon slices and the garlic etc., especially when eaten together with the fragrant jus. But it was slightly overcooked for my taste while the skin was not crisp. I had that better in my memories. I also think there are better chicken available in the US now with better texture of the meat and more flavor (though to be fair if they used the very best, that are as good as poulet de Bresse, then it most likely would not cost 26$). I really liked the roasted potato with it and would have loved to get more than just one piece.

The rabbit was good, tender but not dry. There was a lot of sauce/liquid that would have benefited from more concentration.

For dessert we shared the Souffleed Lemon Custard. Very simple, without anything added but a few cranberries, but smooth and creamy with clean and refreshing lemon aroma. Nice with a glass of Moscato.

To our surprise we felt not overstuffed the rest of the evening despite the robust portions and the rather heavy style of cuisine. A sign that good ingredients, especially high quality cooking fats, are used.

Service was very friendly and very efficient.

I also found the wine list to have interesting picks for reasonable prices. Half a bottle of Felsina CC 2003 (it was either the Riserva or the Rancia) for i think 26$ is something I would like to see more often.

So overall a solid showing and a good choice if one is in the mood for rustic and tasty Bistro fare.

I went to Hamersley's tonight after not having eaten there for I think 5 years.

All in all a very pleasant experience.

I guess the only thing that irritates me about the place is its reputation as a top notch dining destination. Even if the food was perfectly executed it would still be quite simple and rustic fare. Nothing wrong with that, and they surely make a lot of people happy. But based on what one reads online and in a variety of publications I would have expected something very different had I not been there before.

I would have to agree with you on this. I like Hammersley's well enough, but I fail to understand it's reputation as a great or must-experience dining destination.

• 1 year later...

I went to Hamersley's 3 years ago and honestly, it wasn't memorable but I don't remember coming away disappointed either. I went back a few weeks ago and didn't have a good meal there at all. The first thing I noticed is that the menu hadn't really changed....in three years. I had the roast chicken, which was poorly executed. The seasoning wasn't flavourful and it was over salted. It was also extremely dry. Our waiter also had the worst body odour. I will definitely not be returning.

• 1 month later...
I went to Hamersley's 3 years ago and honestly, it wasn't memorable but I don't remember coming away disappointed either. I went back a few weeks ago and didn't have a good meal there at all.  The first thing I noticed is that the menu hadn't really changed....in three years.  I had the roast chicken, which was poorly executed. The seasoning wasn't flavourful and it was over salted. It was also extremely dry.  Our waiter also had the worst body odour.  I will definitely not be returning.

I too was disappointed last time. It may have run its course.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris