• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serrated knife v. regular knife for cutting bread

Fat Guy

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah, in my experience, a good electric knife works good for baguettes and the like.

Edited to add: Placing the loaf on it's side during slicing seems to yield the best result.

I bought a Cuisinart electric knife with a bread blade, as shown in Modernist Bread.  It doesn't cut though bread.  Nor do my chef knives.  No problem for a heavy serrated bread knife.

Your mileage may vary.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I still prefer my CHEAP "scalloped" edge "slicers" for cutting bread or cake.  They work on very hard, crusty artisan breads, dense pumpernickel that I want to slice extra thin, on brioche and panettone,  cakes, sponge cakes and angel food cakes.  They do the job with the least effort on my part which is GREAT for my arthritic hands.

I have tried several other "bread" knifes and not one performed as well on ALL those types of bread.  One might be fine on crusty bread but mashed softer breads.  Non-serrated blades do okay on cakes but not on soft breads that might have a bit of tough crust and they don't work at all on crusty breads.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A Japanese cabinet maker's saw will make a perfect bread knife.

It's much sharper than any serrated knife, it's very uniformly thin, and it cuts with pulling strokes, there is no need for downward pressure or pushing force. It work especially well with hard crust bread.

https://www.amazon.com/Tajima-JPR-265ST-Precision-Woodworking-Elastomer/dp/B00ID1PKD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516287537&sr=8-3&keywords=japanese+wood+saw

dcarch

3 hours ago, dcarch said:

A Japanese cabinet maker's saw will make a perfect bread knife.

It's much sharper than any serrated knife, it's very uniformly thin, and it cuts with pulling strokes, there is no need for downward pressure or pushing force. It work especially well with hard crust bread.

https://www.amazon.com/Tajima-JPR-265ST-Precision-Woodworking-Elastomer/dp/B00ID1PKD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516287537&sr=8-3&keywords=japanese+wood+saw

dcarch

Bet you could find some beauties at Lee Valley 

• Like 1