• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zurich Chocolate and Pastry

brngckn

After spending nearly a week in the Wenger area, I will have half a day in Zurich in early June before returning to the US. I require chocolate and pastry. If you could list your top three chocolate or pastry stops within the old town/historic area, what would they be?

I have only been in the airport recently so I cant tell you about some not so well known smaller places. But thinking about my shopping bills at Spruengli in the airport I am happy to report that their chocolates are still first rate. Truffes du jour are a must as are some of the dark chocolate bars e.g. with roasted almonds.

Various locations in the city (and in the cafe also very nice pastries).

http://spruengli.com/informationen/filialen.php?lang=en

...  If you could list your top three chocolate or pastry stops within the old town/historic area, what would they be?

For chocolate, you shouldn't miss Kolonialwaren Schwarzenbach since 1864.

Not a chocolatier, though but selling an wonderful selection of artisanal brands. Unique: the shop sells also Felchlin Couverture chips. This is the raw chocolate bought by some of the world's best chocolatiers. Schwarzenbach also roasts coffee almost daily (right in the shop), an his pure Mocca is phantastic.

As a side note: walk 20 meters further and you'll find Bodega Espanola with quite preserved interior from around 1900 and mostly spanish waiters. Little Spain in Zürich to enjoy an afternoon beer and some tapas.

Famous, of course:Teuscher, but you don't necessarily need to visit Zürich for this one.

For pastry, I prefer Honold over Spüngeli. A personal preference, though.

I strongly second the "Truffe du jour" at Sprüngli recommendation (above). Probably the best pralinès I ever had. They should be consumed the same day.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I strongly second the "Truffe du jour" at Sprüngli recommendation (above). Probably the best pralinès I ever had. They should be consumed the same day.

actually they last a few days, up to a week...we have extensively tested this (though they tend to disappear quickly)

the "du jour" means they are made the same day and never sold the next

Been about 15 years since I was last in CH

If you ever get the chance to go to Zug (30kms from ZH) Bakerie Speck makes a pretty darn good Kirschtorte--some say the original, and Luzern has some nice shops like Bachman and Heini--as well as the Richmond pastry school