• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Report: Chinese New Year dinner

Kent Wang

We only had four people this time: franktex, future eGullet member Anthony, my girlfriend, and me. We still managed to order nearly everything we've gotten in the past.

gallery_36558_3077_35803.jpg

Pork intestine. Proper high-heat stir-fry with a bit of a crispy crust on the intestines and rich, smoky flavor from the peppers. This treatment of intestines doesn't leave them as chewy, which is more palatable for Westerners.

Overall, one of the best intestine dishes I've ever had.

gallery_36558_3077_63783.jpg

Seafood dumplings. OK. Filling overcooked, packed too tightly. Not as good as Zhong dumplings at Asia Cafe.

gallery_36558_3077_30705.jpg

Pork stomach and pickled vegetable soup. Very simple. The pickled vegetable was quite sour and an interesting thing to have in a soup.

gallery_36558_3077_76244.jpg

Lion's head. Very soft, with a few very small pieces of water chestnut.

gallery_36558_3077_21676.jpg

Whole sea cucumber. Very tender. Best sea cucumber I've had in America.

gallery_36558_3077_94343.jpg

Quail. We forgot to take a picture, so this photo is from last year. This year it was only four pieces, but there was a nice tray of sea salt for dipping the quail into.

gallery_36558_3077_13185.jpg

Braised ham hock. Sauce with rock candy. Appeals to my Shanghai tastes. Better than last year.

gallery_36558_3077_70725.jpg

Eight treasure rice cake. Very wet, even more so than previous years. Otherwise, pretty good.

Overall, the food is the best I've ever had from Pao's and one of the best Chinese meals I've had in America, and not far at all from what you can get in China.

I hope to organize more events this year, the next one in March.

Higher res photos in my Flickr.

Pao's Mandarin House review on Fearless Critic partially written by me.

Reports from 2008, 2007.

We only had four people this time: franktex, future eGullet member Anthony, my girlfriend, and me. We still managed to order nearly everything we've gotten in the past.

I haven't been reading the forum very often, but when I heard you wanted a limit of 8 I figured I'd have to sit it out. Otherwise I would have shown up. I'm a pretty hard-core Asian foodie, and I think Frank could have vouched for me in the that respect :-)

Sorry I missed it. Next year....

-sw

I haven't been reading the forum very often, but when I heard you wanted a limit of 8 I figured I'd have to sit it out. Otherwise I would have shown up. I'm a pretty hard-core Asian foodie, and I think Frank could have vouched for me in the that respect :-)

Sorry I missed it. Next year....

-sw

yo tambien....moved to the little creamery in Texas, but I'da made it my biz to be there otherwise!!!