• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Supermarket products

olivier

I have searched and think no similar topic has been discussed here to this date.

I'd be interesting of hearing about which supermarket-available products you find good enough.

I'm speaking about basic cooking products as well as prepared and ready to eat items.

• 1 month later...

That's a long list. I regularly shop at Carrefour, to my satisfaction. Monoprix also has a lot of gret stuff. Here's a first list:

- Bernard Loiseau dishes

- Rana fresh pasta

- Monoprix Gourmet andouillette

- Petit pot au chocolat carrefour

- Organic cereals and oils Carrefour bio

- Agneau de lait Carrefour agir (really good)

- Lait de Montagne Carrefour

- Beurre bio Carrefour

- Pain bio Carrefour

• 2 weeks later...

Acting on a tip from a friend, I tried some of the bio products at ED. The organic colza oil is quite good, the Mexican-Peruvian coffee is not. I use their cream cheese, since I often need four bricks or more for a cheesecake, and buying the Philadelphia elsewhere would drive me to the poorhouse.

Franprix sells Illy coffee pods for a fraction of the price elsewhere. I used to assume they were mismarked but at around €5 per tin, they're a great deal.

Someone served me the cocktail almonds from Monoprix, which are similar (or actually are) Spanish Marcona almonds, and were fabulous.

Someone served me the cocktail almonds from Monoprix, which are similar (or actually are) Spanish Marcona almonds, and were fabulous.

David: were the almonds Monoprix's own brand?

Yes, they were. I think they came in a green foil bag, but I'm not 100% positive since someone was serving them to be at the same time as an apéritif. I guess I need to go for myself and check 'em out.