• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need help!

Tonyy13

Hey Everyone!

I am starting a new business in the Orlando area, and want to expand to start doing some things at Farmer's Markets. I would love to A)Make some preserves like pickles, chutneys, jams, and condiments for sale under my company name, B)Eventually maybe do pre-made sandwiches that are high quality and finally, C)Sell things like stocks, reductions like veal and chicken glace, duck fat, confit, my own smoked bacons, etc.

The problem is, I can't find any resources for info on what permits I need or what agency to apply to for said permits. Any help out there for a lad who is trying to raise the bar in Orlando? i would really appreicate it! Thanks!

Also, if you could help with any info on packaging guidelines, that would be great! Thanks!

TA

Edited to ask about packaging guidelines. I don't want to get sued. That would be rough on business.

Edited by Tonyy13 (log)

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Call your local nonprofit farmer's market. If its worth a darn, the managers will be able to direct you to the appropriate information on health regulations, package requirements, etc. Another resource is your county cooperative extension agency: it probably offers servsafe training, at a minimum.

If you're lucky, your area might even have a cooperative commercial kitchen available for a nominal rental fee....since some jurisdictions prohibit the commercial sale of products made in a home kitchen. My parish (county) government just purchased a defunct food packaging business to use as a cooperative kitchen; you can rent it by the day, whether for development or production.

Yet another issue to put on your radar is product liability insurance. Sophisticated farmers' markets will require you to have a product liability policy in order to participate, in addition to a weekly or quarterly participation fee. Fortunately, Farm Bureau and similar companies usually have low-cost policies specifically for small producers.

Good luck...direct sales can be very rewarding, and also a good way to figure out what consumers in your area really want.

Product liability insurance is important because Florida is a strict liability state when it comes to sicknesses caused by food.

FWIW - here is the place to start when it comes to state laws and regulations (there may be additional local laws and regulations). Take a look at FAQ 4. Robyn