• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More outer borough adventures

LaNiña

Over a glass of hard cider with the charming Nick Gatti yesterday, we talked about Sripraphai and Tangra Masala. I gotta get you guys to these places already. Lots of folks have asked me organize these, especially Sripraphai (although I gotta say Tangra Masala is well worth the effort, too).

Sripraphai is the best Thai food I've ever had, and although I've never been to Thailand, every single time I go to Sripraphai with someone who has, they invariably exclaim "oh, this is what I had in Thailand!" - and apparently it's quite unusual. The restaurant is in Woodside, Queens, just 4 blocks fromt the #7 train stop at 61st St., which is an express stop. It's about a 15 minute subway ride from Grand Central. It's closed on Wednesdays. It's inexpensive. It's BYO. It's very informal. It's GREAT food. They can adjust the levels of spiciness if you ask (the "Thai spicey" level is inedible for me, for example - too hot). The menu is quite extensive - and they have these big photo album binders with pictures of all the dishes. They also sell all kinds of Thai snacks and baked goods at the counter to take out, some made there, some made elsewhere. And next door to the restaurant is the best Thai grocery/market in the city. Also, the few blocks along Roosevelt Ave. between the subway and Sripraphai hold some of the best Latin street food around...including the marvelous El Guaton (Chilean place, great sandwiches).

SO...I propose we go on a Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday. Monday would work for nesita, who can hardly ever go anywhere on other nights, so that's one consideration.

Let's get this one organized and Tangra Masala can be the next one up after that...

So let me hear from everybody about days, dates, interest, etc., and we'll take it from there.

While I was more than completely whelmed by the company on my visit to Shriprphai, I was a little less whelmed with the food.

Some things were, as the gentle Nina says, just like I had in Thailand. Other things were a real disappointment ( I remember a bbq lamb dish which I actively disliked ) My enjoyment may also have been tempered by the journey from Hell back from KC, Mo to NYC and finding the one cabbie in Manhattan who had not heard of Queens.

I understand from one of the people I was with that night that it was "below par" so, given that I respect both them and the almost nun like Nina, I intend to try it again on my visit in December.

I wish I could join you on the earlier visit

S

Nina, I'd be interested in an outing to Sripaphai. Unfortunately my work schedule is unpredictable so it would be difficult for me to commit definitively to a week-night outing in advance.

In any event, as it is BYO, one suggestion I'd offer (whether or not I can participate) is to bring a bunch of 2001 German Rieslings, which are just showing up on the shelves. I love a good Spatlese with Thai food (of course, beer is good too).

Er, well I can think of one.

I can too! Staten Island is the "inest" borough of all.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

yeah, as in in-breeding.  :raz:

Nina - just because my mother is also my second cousin on my father's side, doesn't mean anything! Most of the Island people breed for the fun of it.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

thanks for keeping me in mind, nina & all; indeed, monday nights are my "saturday night" (or perhaps my "thursday night" in manhattan terms). i am going to d.c. on monday the 3rd, or 4th, or whatever that date is. but i can get together this monday the 28th.....what's up with everyone? nina? or else the monday that's either the 10th or 11th?

i'm up for alsatian gewurztraminer.....but i'm in agreement re: german 2001s. best vintage in a long time.

but i can get together this monday the 28th.....what's up with everyone?  nina?

Well, any day but that one... :sad:

I'll be cooking on a wood stove in the mountains of West Virginia...

Cabin_7.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak