• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread, faster and easier in one pot!

andiesenji

Looks terrific Zoe. I have become addicted to this bread, especially my version with the added asiago cheese.

I mix it in the pot after dinner, stick it in the fridge and bake it next morning. It is very difficult to hold off chopping off a hunk until it is cool. I have to confess that occasionally there is one edge marred that just has to be sliced off while it is still hot. Doesn't even need butter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

I've made this bread several times and I'm still trying to perfect it. I'm getting a good rise and it looks beautiful but the center is gummy kind of like uncooked dough. I've tried using less water, more/less yeast, more/less salt, lower temperature with longer baking time and I'm still getting a gummy center. I'm doing everything and in the same order that Jacques Pipen did in his video. I'm using unbleached bread flour. He does not say what kind of flower he's using so it may be all-purpose. I do not have a nonstick saucepan like his so I'm using a nonstick loaf pan. I did try it once in one of Le Creuset small oval Dutch ovens. It stuck like the dickens so I gave that up. Even in the nonstick loaf pan it sticks so I use a spray cooking oil before I put it in before the water and that works well. It's not the oil that's causing my gummy center though because I've tried it both ways. I'm using an oven thermometer and a thermometer with the probe cooking until the center is 220 degrees. If anybody has any ideas how to sixthis problem I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank You, Steve

Have you tried extending the baking time? Generally, baking the loaf until it has relatively deep colour will fix the problem. I've found that the temperature will seldom rise significantly at the centre, even if you end up baking for as much as half an hour past the point that the suggested internal temperature has been reached.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I am glad that this topic has been revived. I am going to start hunting again for a 3qt non-stick saucepan. I especially want to try Andi's version with Asiago.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've made this bread several times and I'm still trying to perfect it. I'm getting a good rise and it looks beautiful but the center is gummy kind of like uncooked dough. I've tried using less water, more/less yeast, more/less salt, lower temperature with longer baking time and I'm still getting a gummy center. I'm doing everything and in the same order that Jacques Pipen did in his video. I'm using unbleached bread flour. He does not say what kind of flower he's using so it may be all-purpose. I do not have a nonstick saucepan like his so I'm using a nonstick loaf pan. I did try it once in one of Le Creuset small oval Dutch ovens. It stuck like the dickens so I gave that up. Even in the nonstick loaf pan it sticks so I use a spray cooking oil before I put it in before the water and that works well. It's not the oil that's causing my gummy center though because I've tried it both ways. I'm using an oven thermometer and a thermometer with the probe cooking until the center is 220 degrees. If anybody has any ideas how to sixthis problem I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank You, Steve

I've not had a problem with this bread being gummy in the center. However, I do bake some heavy, fruit and nut cakes that are never quite done in the center because they are supposed to be baked in a tube pan and I'm using a regular pan.

So, my solution was to poke these four potato "nails" into the center of the cake when it is about 2/3 done and apparently they transfer just enough heat to that center area to fully bake the interior.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work for the bread.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hi all --

Am itching to try this, but am wondering -- do you need to let the dough warm up after taking it out of the fridge? Or can it go essentially straight from the fridge to the oven?

Edited to say -- oops! Nevermind. Just watched the video, and saw him take it straight from the fridge to the oven! Will definitely be making this soon...

Edited by Emily_R (log)

• 8 months later...

I added bulgur wheat, parsley, mint, lemon zest and topped it with more parsley and mint, and tiny grape tomatoes to make a Tabboulh Bread. I was amazed at how fantastic it turned out with all the additions!

The crust on this bread is close to a bread baked on a hot stone in a steam oven. I'm wondering if the non-stick pot has anything to do with that?

tabbouleh-bread2.jpgtabbouleh-bread1.jpg

Edited by Mjx (log)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~