• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread, faster and easier in one pot!

andiesenji

Slow and Easy Bread in a Pot was the initial recipe in the episode I watched yesterday.

Episode 209 can be watched here.

I was impressed by the other recipes too but the bread that was mixed, proofed and baked, all in the same pot, was the star of the show in my opinion.

I think the overnight stint in the fridge should develop a very nice flavor. I plan on mixing a batch this evening and baking it off tomorrow morning and will report back with my results.

It has also prompted me to order the book!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anna N sent me a link to that this week, I made my second batch yesterday. First batch disappeared in about 2 hours at work. I don't have a nonstick pot, so I used a nonstick 6 or 7 inch cake pan with a removable bottom. I mixed in a mixing cup, then put into the cake pan, because mixing in the cake pan has a tendency to lift the base. I covered with plastic wrap and a plate for the proofing.

Only change I'm making to the next batch is to add 4 tsp kosher salt - I guess M. Pepin is using 2 tsp table salt, and I found 2 tsp of kosher left the bread a little flat.

Anna N sent me a link to that this week, I made my second batch yesterday.  First batch disappeared in about 2 hours at work.  I don't have a nonstick pot, so I used a nonstick 6 or 7 inch cake pan with a removable bottom.  I mixed in a mixing cup, then put into the cake pan, because mixing in the cake pan has a tendency to lift the base.  I covered with plastic wrap and a plate for the proofing.

Only change I'm making to the next batch is to add 4 tsp kosher salt - I guess M. Pepin is using 2 tsp table salt, and I found 2 tsp of kosher left the bread a little flat.

I'm so glad you noted this. I always use kosher salt and would probably have had a similar result.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've baked this bread twice to date. The first time I made it as described (added the extra salt - thanks to Kerry Beal) but the second time I added 1/2 a cup (loosely packed) grated asiago cheese (cut back on the salt by 1/2) and it was even better.

The cheesy version is especially good toasted.

I am going to try some other additives and will report back with my results. I have some dried tomato powder I bought last November and have yet to use in anything and think this may be a good option. Red bread anyone?

I've baked this bread twice to date.  The first time I made it as described (added the extra salt - thanks to Kerry Beal) but the second time I added 1/2 a cup (loosely packed) grated asiago cheese (cut back on the salt by 1/2) and it was even better.

The cheesy version is especially good toasted. 

I am going to try some other additives and will report back with my results.  I have some dried tomato powder I bought last November and have yet to use in anything and think this may be a good option.  Red bread anyone?

I've always wondered what to do with that tomato powder too.

I have made this bread a few times and have baked it in parchment-lined loaf pans as I do not have a non-stick pan that would be suitable. It's the easiest bread I have ever made but if you are looking for a fine crumbed sandwich bread this is not it!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've baked this bread twice to date. 

What kind of a pot did you bake it in? I watched the video and am intrigued.

I used a Calphalon pot like this 3 qt non-stick

I agree that it is not a sandwich bread. It is great simply cut roughly and served with dinner - I had stew the first time and a hearty soup with beans, greens and some homemade duck sausage with the cheesy loaf.

Edited by weinoo (log)

I have made this bread a few times and have baked it in parchment-lined loaf pans as I do not have a non-stick pan that would be suitable.  It's the easiest bread I have ever made but if you are looking for a fine crumbed sandwich bread this is not it!

Any pictures? I'm wondering if it would be a good sub for the Jim Lahey no-knead. Do you think you could sub in some rye or whole wheat flour for the white?

Is there a recipe available without having to watch the video?

Not online. I purchased the book, which I now have but the first time I made it I followed the directions on the video, plus using the info about salt noted by Kerry Beal.

If the recipe had been published online I would have included a link. Since the book is copyright protected as is the content from KQED, I am following the guidelines of this forum.

It runs from 1:39 to 5:22 on the video.

Is there a recipe available without having to watch the video?

Here you go:

click

I replaced the 2 teaspoons of salt with 4 teaspoons of Diamond Crystal salt - but that is up to you. If you watch the video you can see that he is using instant (rapid rise) yeast.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This looks really interesting--thanks so much for posting about it. I'm going to start it right now--I don't have a non stick pan, so I think I'll use my round small corning casserole.

I think I'll put a little whole wheat flour in it, too.

Will report results.

Zoe

This looks really interesting--thanks so much for posting about it.  I'm going to start it right now--I don't have a non stick pan, so I think I'll use my round small corning casserole.

Will report results. 

Zoe

I hope I catch you before you try baking it in a Corning casserole! This dough is sticky beyond belief. I tried baking it in non-stick loaf pans with no success in releasing it. That is the reason I now line even my non-stick loaf pans with parchment.

My 2004 eG Blog

err...

Not true to the original recipe, but I think you would have much more success using two pots.

One to mix in, and one, pre-heated to bake in.

Pre-heat a heavy casserole or dutch oven in a hot oven.

Mix in a basin.

Use a little oil on your hands and the basin to stop it sticking

When its time to bake if you are careful you can just tip it into the hot casserole (it will not stick), otherwise turn out onto the baking paper, and lifting it by the paper, put it all into the preheated casserole. Slash the top with a craft knife or razor blade.

Put the lid on.

Put it back into the oven for 20mins.

After 20 mins take the lid off. Bake another 20 mins, then turn out

Edited by jackal10 (log)

err...

Not true to the original recipe, but I think you would have much more success using two pots.

One to mix in, and one, pre-heated to bake in.

Pre-heat a heavy casserole or dutch oven in a hot oven.

Mix in a basin.

Use a little oil on your hands and the basin to stop it sticking

When its time to bake if you are careful you can just tip it into the hot casserole (it will not stick), otherwise turn out onto the baking paper, and lifting it by the paper,  put it all into the preheated casserole. Slash the top with a craft knife or razor blade.

Put the lid on.

Put it back into the oven for 20mins.

After 20 mins take the lid off. Bake another 20 mins, then turn out

I guess the original appealed so much because it was a 1-pot job! Unfortunately I had to resort to a mixing bowl and a baking vessel because I don't own any non-stick saucepans! But given that I am already stuck with 2 vessels your method certainly sounds worth a good try. Thanks for the suggestion.

My 2004 eG Blog

This looks really interesting--thanks so much for posting about it.  I'm going to start it right now--I don't have a non stick pan, so I think I'll use my round small corning casserole.

Will report results. 

Zoe

I hope I catch you before you try baking it in a Corning casserole! This dough is sticky beyond belief. I tried baking it in non-stick loaf pans with no success in releasing it. That is the reason I now line even my non-stick loaf pans with parchment.

well, you have caught me--my rationale for the Corning being that I bake the Bittman bread in this casserole & it pops out fine--although in that recipe the dish is preheated--do you think that is what makes the bread non-stick in that case?

Z

Will report results. 

Zoe

well, you have caught me--my rationale for the Corning being that I bake the Bittman bread in this casserole & it pops out fine--although in that recipe the dish is preheated--do you think that is what makes the bread non-stick in that case?

Z

That's certainly Jack's reading - see his post just above. I think he could have a good point and I will certainly try his method next time I mix up a batch.

My 2004 eG Blog

well, I just popped it in the oven--in the Corning pan--being a Doubting Thomas I Just Want To See For Myself.

Not being totally foolish, I hope, as my non-stick bread pans are horribly sticky--so I think it's worth a try to see if I can preserve the one pot-ness of this recipe which is its charm--there is always a pile of things next to the sink to be washed in my kitchen .

Z

arrrggghhhh--well, it isn't doing any popping.

3244796978_396aeabdcd.jpg

looks pretty, though, doesn't it?

Should have left it in the oven for five more minutes.

it slices, but it has to be kind of scraped out--with the loss of a lot of crust, alas--and that dish is going to need serious soaking.

I've been doing what Jack does with the no-knead bread--my problem has been that the dough always seems to get deflated when I put it in the baking pan--and the resultant bread is a little flatter than I'd like.

Next round--I'm going to mix it in a big silicon pan I have--heat a pan in the oven and fit the silicon pan inside of the hot pan--or if i can't find pans that match up, at least a pizza stone underneath to get some crust.

Z

Edited by zoe b (log)

arrrggghhhh--well, it isn't doing any popping.

. . .

Oh-oh. But I am glad at least you did get the warning. I would feel terrible otherwise. As it is I DO feel very bad for you. :sad:

My 2004 eG Blog

a) use a little oil on your hands, the worktop and the bowl you put it back in to stop it sticking.

If you use a banneton (cloth lined basket) for the final proof rub in lots of rice flour or equivalent low gluten flour - no gluten, not stickyness.

b) Don't overprove, then the dough is more robust and will have greater oven spring

c) Handle gently - for example turn out onto or prove on baking paper (in a basin), then handling the paper put that in your super hot pan

Anna N

Oh-oh. But I am glad at least you did get the warning. I would feel terrible otherwise. As it is I DO feel very bad for you. sad.gif

oh, don't feel bad for me--it was my choice to experiment--and the bread is fine

jackal10

Posted Today, 12:38 PM

a) use a little oil on your hands, the worktop and the bowl you put it back in to stop it sticking.

If you use a banneton (cloth lined basket) for the final proof rub in lots of rice flour or equivalent low gluten flour - no gluten, not stickyness.

b) Don't overprove, then the dough is more robust and will have greater oven spring

c) Handle gently - for example turn out onto or prove on baking paper (in a basin), then handling the paper put that in your super hot pan

I'll try these tips, thanks--the banneton is a really good idea--I've been proofing it on a silicon sheet with a towel over it--to avoid sticking--but somehow when I flipped it over it got a little squished.

And the gentleness is probably the best of the advice--I do everything quickly and not as carefully as i should .

Z

The whole point was that this is a mix, proof and bake in one pot bread and required a non-stick pot.

I had non-stick pots and have used one that works fine. Once you begin changing it, it is no longer the same process or product and becomes something that belongs in the thread where there has been extensive discussion about the various slack, no-knead and long, cold fermentation doughs.

• 1 year later...

to return to this topic--I finally managed to thrift an anodised saucepan with a teflon lining--the teflon is a little worn, so we'll see if it works ( I know you aren't supposed to use teflon after it starts to flake off, but i do anyway--there are so many things you shouldn't do, I have to ignore some of them).

off to bake, at last.

Edited by zoe b (log)