• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Near the JW Marriott on Penn Ave

sgschef

We are coming into DC by train on Monday evening around 6pm-staying at the JW Marriot. Don't know the area at all. Would like a recommendation for dinner-close by and no more than $40 a person for dinner. Open to anything--just really good food, relaxed atmosphere. Thank you!

We are coming into DC by train on Monday evening around 6pm-staying at the JW Marriot.  Don't know the area at all.  Would like a recommendation for dinner-close by and no more than $40 a person for dinner.  Open to anything--just really good food, relaxed atmosphere.  Thank you!

Depending on how you choose your courses (and whether you include wine and/or dessert), both Cafe du Parc (at the Willard) and Central (at 11th and PA) should meet your needs. Ditto for Ten Penh (10th and PA) if you want Asian fusion. Edited by PatDC (log)

I like Les Halles on Penn Ave a block or so away (one of the two non-NY branches); typical French cuts, comfort food; no stars but holds you til you get to Paris.  If you're coming from NY faggedaboudid.

Sadly, Les Halles is no more. Rent dispute, we are told.

A lot depends on how you define a $40 dinner. For two courses and a glass of wine, you're on shaky but doable ground if you want above-average food. If that has to cover tax and tip, you're we'll into the realm of ethnic (not plentiful in that neighborhood -- Full Kee in Chinatown, maybe) and mediocre. Most of these places have on-line menus, so you can see for yourself what feels right.

I like Cafe du Parc which, I notice, has a $35 3-course Bretonne menu that looks well worth the expenditure (they also do very well with inexpensive wines).

If you just want to kick back with a quality burger on white linen tableclothes, the Old Ebbit Inn is a Washington classic and matches saloon attitude with a certain gaslit panache. They have more than burgers, but the food and wine list are more competent than exceptional. Fun room, excellent bar, known for their oysters.

The Occidental Grill has a similar vibe, slightly more expensive and slightly better food.

If you can go a little higher -- and walk a little further (Rasika and Proof are about 7 blocks from the hotel) -- you might consider Rasika, arguably the best Indian in the city and in a very hip space. Checking the menu, it looks like you could come in close to budget with very little scrimping.

And I had an excellent meal the other night at Proof. Three people, two courses, two cocktails and a bottle of $36 ( steal) Savennieres came to $177 after tax but before tip. If you're not a big eater you could easily make a meal of two apps and still have budget room for that Savennieres. Also, if you move quickly, (and vote Dem) you can see the original of the Obama "Hope" poster immediatly across the street -- as well as a lot of other excellent art -- at the Museum of American Art (closes at 7), just inside the entrance, to the left.

And there's always Jaleo for tapas.

Oh -- a lot of people like Matchbox for pizza, mini-burgers and the like.

Have fun!

PS: There is a basketball game at the Verizon Center which is likely to affect seating at at lot of these places until just after 7:00 PM tip-off.

PPS: I just got the Washingtonian "100 Best" restaurants in DC issue and all of the above, save Matchbox and Old Ebbit, make the cut.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.