• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo Basting

CooksQuest

Diverting somewhat from Saffy's helpful thread for a chicken wing coating, I am looking for a "buffalo" wing hot sauce (not a honey/garlic, mustard, soy or other sauce, but a simple hot sauce).

Here's my dilemna. I like to buy wings from my local butcher, cook 'em on my pizza stone in a convection oven (avoiding frying) and then toss in a hot sauce followed by a quick broil or charcoal grill. I can't quite get the flavor that you can find in any good pub.

Since I would like this prep to be quick, I don't mind purchasing the sauce. So...

1) any recommendations on a commercial brand of hot sauce that approximates the "pub" taste you find on buffalo wings; and/or

2) any ideas for a quick homemade prep?

Thanks in advance.

The starter sauce I use is:

4 parts butter

2 parts pepper sauce (originally Tabasco, but see the thread on hot sauces)

1 part red wine vinegar

This is the basis for almost all wing sauces and glazes, dating back to the Anchor in Buffalo. You will often see vegetable oil substituted for butter, other acids for the vinegar and somtimes a form of sugar or gum to help the glaze stick.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.