• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Split Hot Dog Buns

Which style - with mayo or with butter? They both have their charms...

If you need a guinea pig/taster, you have my number.... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The only top-split hot dog rolls I ever see in the supermarket are from Pepperidge Farm; they have an outlet near Hatboro on Old York Rd, and they have other outlets all over the place. But I'd bet you could find them at Jetro or even at the Shoprite or Pathmark in South Philly.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Freihofers also make these - their website allows you to search by zipcode for recent delivery of a specific product.

While I can't get them in northern NJ :sad: it looks like there are a number of markets in Philadelphia that carry them.

I have an inordinate fondness for these - probably has to do with grilling those crustless sides in butter :)

You need more than just "top-split" in Philadelphia. Most of the top-split ones I have come across are regular hot dog buns split down the top rather than the sides.

New England style buns are totally different. They need to have toastable sides.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Freihofers also make these - their website allows you to search by zipcode for recent delivery of a specific product.

While I can't get them in northern NJ  :sad: it looks like there are a number of markets in Philadelphia that carry them.

I have an inordinate fondness for these - probably has to do with grilling those crustless sides in butter :)

Thanks, A big help.

I will send you a lobster roll on me if your in Philly.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Which style - with mayo or with butter?  They both have their charms...

If you need a guinea pig/taster, you have my number.... :smile:

I'm doing Mayo ones. I will def send you one when we open.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

• 5 months later...
You need more than just "top-split" in Philadelphia.  Most of the top-split ones I have come across are regular hot dog buns split down the top rather than the sides.

New England style buns are totally different.  They need to have toastable sides.

Holly, the Wegman's version (which, iirc, are labeled "New England", not top split) have toastable/grillable sides. The best I've found yet in the area of this style.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report