• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Sirene, Lavagna, or August?

davidbdesilva

OK Manhattan egulleters, my wife and I have been fortunate in being able to spend a second night in NYC on Valentine's Day weekend and now need a second dinner spot. I'm trying to save some money so La Sirene attracts me with it's BYOB policy, Lavagna attracts me because of it's $29 three-course deal on Sundays (which appears to be open to the entire menu), and August just attracts me because it looks like a lovely restaurant (but would be the most expensive though).

So, which one has the best food? I've read a very good review of La Sirene in the NYT and Lavagna seems to be a favorite of many, but I want your input please. The way I figure, La Sirene with the BYOB and Lavagna with the price fixe and a bottle of wine are probably about the same cost. But August's menu looks pretty good too. So....help!

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I've never heard of La Sirene, but where are you getting that Lavagna is a current favorite? I used to like the place but haven't been there in years, because there are a lot of other places that are cheaper and better, including Cacio e Vino. August is a place I liked very much when I went there, but it was probably July 4, 2005 or 2006.

Michael aka "Pan"

Random! Never heard of La Sirene either, just read that review and I can't tell if Bruni liked it or was just amused by the owner. Lavagna has been an East Village standby for years, but I have no idea how it is now.

The original chef at August left over the summer to take over the kitchen at Morandi. Haven't heard about either spot since then, really. August used to be excellent, but I haven't been in well over a year. Has a very rustic and warm feel to it.

I don't know if you're open to other places. Convivio used to have a special relatively inexpensive Sunday night menu - don't know if that's still the case, but I've heard very good things. If you're looking for inexpensive Italian in the East Village and are willing to be super casual about it I'd point you to Terroir, the wine bar a few doors down from Hearth run by Marco Canora. The food is excellent and it's hard to spend more than $30/person (excluding wine). I'd check the NY Where To Eat thread for other spots. I feel like you can do better, especially if you're in from out of town.

I would recommend La Sirène. We dined there last spring (blog report here). Bruni's review is fairly accurate. I think he genuinely liked the place. Perhaps he even understates its charms: if it had been Italian, I think he would have awarded two stars. Just be sure to check that it's open on Sundays.

August, as noted upthread, lost its chef, and I haven't read any reports since then.

Edited by oakapple (log)

I found La Sirene on the Opentable website and then checked it out on places like Citysearch and that "other" food website and it gets excellent reviews all around. The NYT article was a bit confusing but seemed positive. The food is rustic French and supposedly very authentic. I hear that it's in a deserted part of town near the Holland tunnel. The fact that you have a decent restaurant in Manhattan that is BYOB gets me going, being used to the myriad of very fine BYOB's we have here in Philly.

And btw, I've heard positive things about Lavagna as well but perhaps calling it a favorite was inaccurate. Given that it is not and that there was a recent chef change at August, I'm leaning toward La Sirene (which actually also has a Sunday, cash-only price-fixe deal as well). They have a website as well.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I go to both Lavagna and La Sirene, but even though it's sort of an apples to oranges comparison, I think the food is better at La Sirene. Lavagna is trying for an Italian/pan-Mediterranean menu, while La Sirene is French. Just be aware that La Sirene is very small and in addition to BYOB, it's cash only. If the cassoulet is on the menu make sure to give it a try. It's one of the best I've had in the city.