• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seville orange jelly

Mette

I had a meltdown and bought a bunch of seville oranges, but I haven't got time to spend hours cutting the rind for making maramalade.

Would it be possible to boil the whole oranges as one would for marmalade, and the just use the liquid, boiled with pips and sugar to make a clear orange jelly?

Thanks

Sure it is, but you do better to seperate the pips and use a liquidiser for the orange pulp. Not pretty but tasty

Makes 4 lbs approx

INGREDIENTS

2 lb 3 ozs. or 1 kg. thin skinned oranges.

2 lb 3 ozs. or 1 kg. white sugar. (you can use brown if you like the taste)

1 ¾ pt. or 1 litre water.

1. Quarter the oranges. Remove the pips and put the pips in a muslin bag then put in pan.

2. Put oranges in liquidiser in batches with some of the water. Liquidise on low speed for 10-20 seconds until roughly chopped.

3. Put in the pan. Pressure cook for 10 minutes or boil until peel is soft.

4. Remove the muslin bag with pips.

5. Move from the heat. Add the sugar.

6. Return to the heat and boil rapidly whilst stirring.

7. Test for gelling. You are aiming for an end temperature of 222F/105C

8. Pour into jars while hot and seal

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Thanks, both of you - I haven't really got freezer space for oranges - too many berries :biggrin: I'll keep the orange recipe for a rainy day.

I ended up quartering them, boiling them for about 1 hour and draining the liquid off into a pan. I carefully removed all the pips and stuck them in a tea-bag and boiled the whole thing up with equal weight in sugar. As it started to get thick, I tasted it, and it was SOOOO bitter. I added another 50 % sugar, ending up with proprotions 60 % sugar/40% liquid - good balance now, but still more bitter than marmalade. Unfortunately, adding the sugar late in the process made the gelling hard to control, so it has set up very stiff - tasty on toast, though. May have a chocolate application of some sorts as well :smile:

There are probably a million ways to make marmalade. I prefer a delicate, clear fine-cut marmalade and that's what I've been making this month. Without going into the details of the recipe, my method is as follows.

The oranges are juiced and the peel set aside. A percentage of the pips are put in a bag and hung from the side of the pot. Water is added to the juice and this mix is simmered. Meanwhile, we scrape the peel we plan to use to get rid of all the pith, and very finely cut the peel. I like a modest amount of cut peel in the final product, just enough to add a little depth of flavor and extra bitterness and give the marmalade some texture. I don't like using the white pith at all. I find it makes the marmalade cloudy and I don't like the flavor of it.

After half an hour the peel is added to the pot and the mix is simmered another half hour. Then the pips are removed and the resulting juice is measured. Sugar is added per cup of juice. The pip bag is squeezed to get a teaspoon or so more pectin (or whatever that gloopy stuff is called), which is added to the mix and then the mix boils until it reaches the desired temp, and poured into jars.

The cut peel does not seem essential to the chemistry of marmalade. We use far less than even our recipe suggests and it makes absolutely no difference to how "set up" the finished marmalade is. How well it sets up depends upon the quantity of pips, the amount of sugar, and the cooking time. So yes, you could make a clear marmalade without any peel. It might not be a true jelly (I'm not sure what that is, actually, since I've never made one) but it would be well set like a jelly if you cooked it on the longer side.