• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why did I buy that?

prasantrin

I love capers, specially those packed in salt. I use them in salads, and with tuna, and after rinsing in water a few hours I could eat them just like that.

Things I regret... I just bought somoked salmon. Not the one that comes in thin slices - which I love - but the one that comes in thick chunks. I found it to be dry, almost unedible.  And it wasn't inexpensive either.

Yeah, hot-smoked vs. cold-smoked.

Hate the former, love the latter.

V

• 5 months later...

From Trader Joes: Chocolate covered orange pieces and chocolate covered raspberry pieces...can't recall the exact shapes...except to say they were awful.

Muffins from Tim Horton's. I cannot imagine why they make such dreadful muffins!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 weeks later...
Oh hell, I just remembered my biggest food regret.  Nevermind the peanut butter.  Spiced masala soda.  I'm sure there are people who grow up with it and love it.  I love Moxie and am well aware that most don't.  So it's cool.  I'm not condemning the thing.  But my God.  I saw "spiced soda" and thought I might be dealing with something like Dr Pepper, maybe some kind of ginger ale, that sort of thing.  But when I opened it, the first thing I smelled was cumin -- like opening a packet of taco seasoning when you've forgotten to shake it down to the bottom of the packet and a little winds up on the floor.

I tasted it anyway.  I'd bought it, I'd opened it, and I knew there was no point in telling this story later if I weren't willing to taste it, and it was as salty as that taco seasoning too.  I'm sure it wasn't really, I'm sure the salt level was moderate, but having grown up with Moxie instead of spiced masala soda, my expectation of saltiness in sodapop was ... well, about as low as you can get.  Zero.  Less than zero.  Saltiness would show up nowhere in that segment of Family Feud, even after encountering the cumin.

I had bought three bottles originally, because that's what I do with previously unheard-of sodas -- that way if I love it, I've still got another one for later, and another one for somebody else to try.  It's a number that works out well.  This was nearly three years ago.  The other two bottles are on my bookshelf as we speak, and they're only there in case anyone ever dares doubt me.

Sounds like what you get on the streets in India when you ask for a masala soda. They open a bottle of thumbs up, and then add lime juice and spices. Usually chat masala, so the black salt in it gives it a distinctive sulfur smell. An aquired taste maybe, but I like it!