• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best: Dish you Ever Ate

sickchangeup

One dish only....tough question.

I agree the foie terrine with beet juice and pea soil at WD was memorable. so were several dishes at Le Bernadin. Corton is fresh in my memory because of the recent visit. Masa's toro was from nirvana.

BUT at WD-50, Baby spring lamb with banana consomme and bok choy (it might not be bok choi but some other green). It was so simple and so profound. Still burnt in my memory. Sick.

lespinasse when gray was there. arctic char served crunchy side down in broth. somehow the crunch survived in the broth and the taste/consistency made for the most memorable single dish of my life.

I almost ashamed to admit this because it's so "simple", but Andrew Carmellini's perfectly light and fluffy gnocchi with shaved white truffles of superior quality on top at Cafe Boulud was perhaps the most sublime and memorable thing I've eaten in NYC.

But there are many others.....

A wild mushroom and boar soup at a game dinner Carmellini did once was up there as well, even more amazing since I'm not a big fan of mushrooms.

The foie brulee at Jean Georges is also one of the better things I've tasted in my life.

Pretty much anything classic at ADNY was a thing a beauty. In that vein, the bone-in Tournedos Rossini with black truffles and foie gras served in a pan at Benoit made me as happy as anything I've ever had.

One has to go back in time to a dish that might not (or might, indeed) cut the mustard today: Saumon en croute with sauce Choron at Lutece.

Ah yes, I have fond memories of this! And still the best tarte tatin I've ever had in the USA.

Felonius, I also treasure the memories of my meals at ADNY. I still think the Baba is one of the best desserts I have ever had.

Other great dishes: Any of the foie at Jean Georges, the aspergus with morels at J.G.; the foie and tuna appetitzer at Le Bernardin: The oysters and pearls at Per Se.

awesome thread! i'm jealous of some of you guys:

this random sweetbread ravioli with lemon froth at emp for lunch - insane.

suckling pig at emp

foie gras terrine with raspberries? at emp. really the ever changing foie gras terrine at emp.

turbot/chateau chalon at JG

halibut/hon shimijis & lemongrass at JG

scallops/caper raisin cauliflower at JG (so often immitated by every other chef in the country and even myself)

peekytoecrab dumplings at JG

ginger rice bowl at Perry Street

knot foie at WD50

anything with uni at Soto

pasta with black truffles at robuchon

pasta with black truffles at per se

max's good appenzeller @ picholine "It will make you see Jesus" direct quote from the man himself. And I did.

peppadews with speck and mozzarella at casellula.

razor clams with cardamom at szechuan gourmet? (the one in the east 30's?)

Edited by chefboy24 (log)

One has to go back in time to a dish that might not (or might, indeed) cut the mustard today: Saumon en croute with sauce Choron at Lutece.

Since you broke the ice on Lutece, the greatest dish I ever ate was there. Bay scallops sauteed and finished with a sauce of fine tomato dice, tarragon, fish stock, white wine and a dash of tarragon vinegar. Stunning! What I remember most was that the pace of my eating the dish accelerated so rapidly as I went through it. The escalope of salmon with a mustard crust which followed was almost as brilliant, but still overshadowed.

Still available? The justifiably lauded "Oysters and Pearls" at Per Se.

Since you broke the ice on Lutece, the greatest dish I ever ate was there. Bay scallops sauteed and finished with a sauce of fine tomato dice, tarragon, fish stock, white wine and a dash of tarragon vinegar. Stunning! What I remember most was that the pace of my eating the dish accelerated so rapidly as I went through it. The escalope of salmon with a mustard crust which followed was almost as brilliant, but still overshadowed.

Still available? The justifiably lauded "Oysters and Pearls" at Per Se.

Well, if we're going to mention Lutece, I have to put up their signature medaillons de veaux au morilles (veal medallions with morels). Not sure how it would seem to me in the present day, but at the time it was the dish that launched my lifelong obsession with food.

Well, if we're going to mention Lutece, I have to put up their signature medaillons de veaux au morilles (veal medallions with morels).  Not sure how it would seem to me in the present day, but at the time it was the dish that launched my lifelong obsession with food.

Cream-based sauce?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Well, if we're going to mention Lutece, I have to put up their signature medaillons de veaux au morilles (veal medallions with morels).  Not sure how it would seem to me in the present day, but at the time it was the dish that launched my lifelong obsession with food.

Cream-based sauce?

That's how I remember it. My memory is of a cognac or brandy type sauce with lots of morels. My taste memory could be faulty, though...it was a long time ago!

Roasted Marrow Bones at Blue Ribbon Cafe - because it was the first time I ever had marrow, the atmosphere was amazing, and it was early in my first trip back to NYC since becoming a foodie.

More "starred" meals followed, but that marrow.... mmmm.

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Holly Moore, you're thinking like I'm thinking. But I pick the corned beef on club bread.

It's a childhood memory for me, an every-other-Sunday lunch staple after church -first to Katz's, then the walk to Chinatown to play skee-ball at the Chinatown Fair.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln