• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best: Dish you Ever Ate

sickchangeup

Just watched the FN TV Special that asked several of their food personalities various questions around what the best dish (entree, dessert, breakfast etc...) they ever ate was. Many of the dishes were in NY, and I believe all were dishes that you could get today still.

This got me thinking about what people here think their single best ever NY dish is, cause after watching the special, I am definitely interested in visiting a couple of the places mentioned that I haven't been to before.

So let's have it, what's the best dish you ever ate in the city? To keep in the spirit of the exercise, maybe we can limit it to any dish of any kind, but one that is still being served to the public today.

I'm loathe to start cause my answer is a bit boring, but the truth is that the best dish I ever ate in NY is Per Se's White Truffle Oil Custard with Black Truffle Ragout and Chive Chip.

Maybe the foie terrine with beet juice, candied olive and pea soil at WD~50?

The only other things that are coming to mind are the lamb with coffee-cardamom at Corton, and the Honeydew Soup with corn crusted lobster and lemongrass at Grayz.

Among my most memorable for being painfully tasty (quite different than most memorable and not necessarily my favorite dishes either):

-Skate Chateau Chalon @ JG

-Foie brulee (various preps) @ JG

-Foie terrine and parfait (various preps) @ EMP

-Polenta with mushrooms @ L' Impero/Alto

-Chicken with black truffles (the crispy skin prep from years ago) @ EMP

-Toro @ Yasuda

Again, these aren't my favorite dishes, but the ones that take you by surprise and make you think, "Damn, this is good!"

What immediately comes to mind is a changed course at PerSe. I was there for my 3rd time for lunch and went with 3 other people.

Instead of rabbit, our server came over and asked if we would like to be served a Roast Chicken. The ultimate test on a chef!

They brought out the whole bird (truffled stuffed!) out in its pot with the vegetables that were cooked with it. I begged for a taste of the juice. No wine ever tasted better. Then it was whisked back to the kitchen to be cut up (white meat only) and served with cinnamon scented prune and swiss chard puree. Simple Can Be The Best.

The Crispy Black Bass with Iberico Ham and Green Peppercorn Sauce at Le Bernardin. It was technically perfect and the flavor was so pure.

The first time I had the Muscovy Duck at EMP. The 2nd time it wasn't the same.

The wagyu with bordelaise I had at Per Se. I usually like some bite on my meat but that piece was like silk. It was like the first time I ate toro, just effortless.

The radish salad at Spotted Pig.

And the soft chocolate ganache with avocado lime and espresso at WD~50.

I'm only speaking for 2008 here.

CORTON

Turbot

Brioche Crust, Sweet Onion, Razor Clam Chowder

BLUE HILL WASHINGTON SQUARE

This Morning's Farm Egg

Beluga lentils, root vegetables and house cured lardo

LE BERNARDIN

Black Bass

Crispy Black Bass; Braised Celery and Parsnip Custard; Iberico Ham-Green Peppercorn Sauce

Halibut

Poached Halibut; Baby Brussel Sprouts; Sea Urchin-Mustard Sauce

LANDMARC

Roasted Marrow Bones

Onion Marmalade, Grilled Country Bread

MORIMOTO

Kobe beef carpaccio

Yuzu, Soy, Ginger, Sweet Garlic

Duck, Duck, Duck

Foie Gras Croissant, Roast Duck, Soft Duck Egg, Red Miso Sauce

PER SE

Saddle of 24 Carrot Farm's Rabbit

"Farcie à la Mousse au Poivre", Watercress "Subric," Red Watercress Leaves and Parsnip Purée with Rabbit Jus

GRAMMERCY TAVERN

Sirloin & Braised Flat Iron

Burnt Toast and Celery Root

Black Tagliatelle

Chorizo, Lobster and Calamari

Guys, part of the fun is having to pick one dish! If you limit it to one dish, then you give people reading something to shoot for, with too many there is no way to make sure you try them all.

Bobster - I'd never heard of anyone getting a whole chicken at Per Se, that definitely sounds like an awesome dish!

AEK - Is that a new or old Bouley dish? We tried the Black Truffle Dashi with the Porcini flan at the new Bouley and loved it.

I usually don't think of food in superlatives, but this one got me wondering -- I think the "best dish" for me is something that, when I have it once, I'll constantly crave it afterward. But having it the second time around sometimes isn't as satisfying as that first taste.

One dish that won me the two or three times I had it was a foie gras sushi with shiso and truffle honey at Bar Masa -- fat and rice, can't go wrong.

A dish that didn't work on repeat is the angel-hair pasta with Portuguese sardines at Bouley Upstairs. The first time I had it (2007, I think), the pasta was doused in an almost-fishy, almost-funky white sauce, just aromatic enough -- totally gorgeous. Went back to the restaurant on New Year's Eve night last month, though, and the pasta was thicker spaghetti, and the sauce was slightly chunky and grayish. I think it may have been fortified with grated onion, and it didn't have that ethereal scent and texture of the earlier version.

So I think best dishes aren't only the product of a great recipe or a great hand behind the stove -- but of the exact moment, and mood of the chef, and any other number of factors, including how I'm feeling at the time -- there have been many times in this city when I've asserted to myself that buffalo chicken wings are the best food I could ever eat. :)

AEK - Is that a new or old Bouley dish?  We tried the Black Truffle Dashi with the Porcini flan at the new Bouley and loved it.

I had it at the old Bouley. I haven't seen the menu from the new version yet so I'm not sure if they still have it, though maybe they serve it at lunch (if I remember correctly, I read something that said they were keeping some of the classic dishes around at lunch).

I had some great dishes at Jo Jo back in their heyday in the 1980s, but even if they're still serving the same dishes, they probably won't be the same. So:

Babbo: Their amazing Casunziei

Very honorable mention:

Goose Liver Ravioli with Balsamic Vinegar and Brown Butter

Are you all surprised I didn't mention Spicy & Tasty in this thread? :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Kobe Beef at Per Se in 2004

Don't remember anything else that came with it.

Was eating with my parents - I was raving about the quality and my mother gave me the rest of hers to finish.

"That was the nicest thing you've ever done for me."

"The nicest thing she ever did, son, was give birth to you."

"Whatever. Billions of people have done that. You can count on one hand the number of people that have shared food this good."

The runner up would probably be Gray Kunz's shortribs ... I have had them twice at Cafe Grey and once at Grayz and each time they were "holy shit" good. I could never order anything else off any menu if those were offered

Edited by RossyW (log)

I'm loathe to start cause my answer is a bit boring, but the truth is that the best dish I ever ate in NY is Per Se's White Truffle Oil Custard with Black Truffle Ragout and Chive Chip.

your favorite dish has one of the most brilliant presentations as well.

my first is the grated frozen foie over lychee, riesline gelee and pine-nut brittle at ko. a close second is the rice cracker crusted asparagus, jamon serrano, chorizo and poached egg topped with cheese foam at degustation. both of these dishes rebooted my brain. i'm sure watching the chefs assemble these dishes has a lot to do with it.

Orange shrimp on paper thin slices of cucumber at Le Perigord....late '90s

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The bouillabaisse at Le Bernardin. Ah, saffron, and perfect fish.

Since some folks are listing others: The braised pork belly at Gramercy Tavern (I think Colicchio was still chef). I know it's kind of cliche now but at the time it was quite revelatory.

Also at Gramercy Tavern: a fresh English pea soup type-thing that was amazing!

purplechick

"No verse can give pleasure for long, nor last, that is written by

water drinkers." --Cratinus, 5th Century BCE, Athens

I dont think my wife and I can narrow it done to a dish

so we have a bite and a composed plate

Her: Belon on half shell with Oscetra at Lespinasse as an amuse

Me : Foie, Beef shank, and Lentil mini terrine slice at Daniel, ( to date only bite I have never shared with her , accident of course)

Her : The Truffe Pizza at Robuchon

Me: Risotto of Farro, with Oxtail jus and gold leaf at Robuchon

Me : Foie, Beef shank, and Lentil mini terrine slice at Daniel, ( to date only bite I have never shared with her , accident of course)

Hilarious, that definitely make me want to try it.

What's the truffle pizza? Never heard of it, was it just on the menu?

Kind of a signature item from JR small round of pasrty, about 2-3 inches, sliced black truffles overlapped in cocentric circle on top, baked and seasoned with sea salt , simple but dependent on perfect technique and product

Don't know if it's the best dish I ever ate, but the steak tartare at the bar room at the modern is the best steak tartare I've ever had anywhere.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I'm sure I couldn't possibly name just one dish, but I won't regret naming either of the following:

Savory: Black Bass Tartare at Le Bernardin

Sweet: Claudia Fleming's Coconut Tapioca at Gramercy Tavern

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com