• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Montreal In March

jenc

After doing some research, here are the restaurants/patisseries/places that we'd like to hit when we visit Montreal (in March). Anyone have any additions/subtractions? Want to make sure we're not missing anything or making time for something we shouldn't...!

I guess the one thing I had trouble finding was a "traditional" quebecois resto - Chasse et Peche was listed as that, but I haven't read anything on it recently... or if it was waaaay off base. Suggestions welcome!

So here are the places we're making time for:

Au Pied de Cochon

536 avenue Duluth Est Montréal, QC H2L 1A9, Canada

Joe Beef

Restaurant Bazaar

365 Avenue Laurier ouest, Tel: (514) 276-6999

La Banquise (Poutine)

994 rue Rachel Est Montréal, QC H2J 2J3

L’Avenue (Brunch)

922, avenue du Mont-Royal Est

Le Bouchonné

9 Fairmount E Montréal, QC H2T 1C7

St-Viateur Bagel

263 rue Saint-Viateur Ouest Montréal, QC H2V 1Y1, Canada

Chocolats Geneviève Grandbois

162 rue Saint-Viateur Ouest Montréal, QC H2T 2L3

Fairmount Bagel Bakery Inc

74 avenue Fairmount Ouest Montréal, QC H2T 2M2

Patisseries Amal Bohsali

1420 rue Sauvé Ouest Montréal, QC H4N 1C5 (514) 920-0999

Le Fromentier

1375 Laurier East

Pâtisserie Mahrouse (Bakalva, karabij)

1010 rue de Liège Ouest Montréal, QC H3N 1B8 (514) 279-1629

Jean-Talon Market

7070 rue Henri-Julien Montréal, QC H2S 3A3

Provisions WC39

(Lunch only)

La Montée De Lait

1424 rue Bishop Montréal, QC H3G 2E6

McKiernan (Brunch)

2485 Notre-Dame W Montréal, QC Brunch is Saturdays from 10am - 4pm.

---- POSSIBLES ----

Places that have come up but we don't know yet...

Atwater Marche

155 avenue Greene Montréal, QC H4C 2H6

Patati Patata (Poutine)

4177 boulevard Saint-Laurent Montréal, QC H2W 1Y7 4177

Restaurant DNA

355 rue Marguerite-d'Youville Montréal, QC H2Y 2C4

Boulangerie Au Pain Doré Ltée

1357 Mont-Royal E Montréal, QC H2J 1Y8

La Salle à Manger

1302 Mont-Royal E Montréal, QC

Marche 27

27 Prince Arthur St W, Montréal, QC H2X 1S4

Club (Le) Chasse Et Pêche

423 St Claude Montréal, QC H2Y 3B6

Le Cartet (brunch)

106 rue McGill Montreal, QC H2Y 2E5 (514) 871-8887

Pistou Déjeuner (Brunch)

4489 rue de la Roché Montréal, QC H2J 3J2

Ty-Breiz (crepes)

Rue Rachel Est & Rue De Mentana, Montréal, QC

Les Chocolats De Chloe

546 Duluth E.

Fous Desserts

819 Laurier E.

Les Saveurs Du Plateau (Sorbets, desserts)

1479 avenue Laurier Est Montréal, QC H2J 1H8

Pâtisserie San Marco

1581 rue Jean-Talon Est Montréal, QC H2E 1S9

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Your list looks good. But understand that there's a Pain Doré at Marche Jean-Talon. At J-T, be sure to visit the Saveurs de Quebec shop, in the perimeter ring of shops. It has incredible produits de la terroir, including wine and cidre. Club Chasse-Peche is an awfully good bet.

winemaker

After doing some research, here are the restaurants/patisseries/places that we'd like to hit when we visit Montreal (in March). Anyone have any additions/subtractions? Want to make sure we're not missing anything or making time for something we shouldn't...!

I guess the one thing I had trouble finding was a "traditional" quebecois resto - Chasse et Peche was listed as that, but I haven't read anything on it recently... or if it was waaaay off base. Suggestions welcome!

So here are the places we're making time for:

Edited by winemaker (log)

I would add Kouign Aman, it's a Breton Bakery (322 Mont-Royal E.) with sublime croissants and lots of other yummy pastries too. It's very small and you can see them working in the back -- boy do they put a lot of butter in there. :smile:

Have a good trip.

Edited for typos.

Edited by purplechick (log)

purplechick

"No verse can give pleasure for long, nor last, that is written by

water drinkers." --Cratinus, 5th Century BCE, Athens

Club Chasse et Peche is a wonderful restaurant, but it is more fine dining using high quality Quebec products than a "traditional Quebec restaurant".

Restaurant Bazaar, alas, is no more. The chef/owner closed it and retired from cooking professionally because of health reasons.

*crosses off Restaurant Bazaar* (Thanks rcianci)

I've added Club Chasse et Peche and Kouign Aman (purplechick, that's going to be bad for me... but then again, I'm already set to go to APdC, so what am I saying!?) to the lineup. Also dropping Pain D'oree as a separate stop. (Thanks winemaker!)

I'm really looking forward to trying out Mahrouse, despite how far it is. My favourite Middle-Eastern pastry, Swar from Royal Patisserie, their chef in Toronto apprenticed for 17 years under Mahrouse in Montreal, so I'm curious to compare!

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I've added Club Chasse et Peche and Kouign Aman (purplechick, that's going to be bad for me... but then again, I'm already set to go to APdC, so what am I saying!?)

Heh! The two places I remember most from our trip to Montreal a couple of years ago are Au Pied de Cochon and Kouign Aman.

Just remember, the weather is very cold there this time of year so you'll need more calories :wink:

Edited for typos.

Edited by purplechick (log)

purplechick

"No verse can give pleasure for long, nor last, that is written by

water drinkers." --Cratinus, 5th Century BCE, Athens

Chocolats de Chloe is a must. Genevieve Grandbois is a big step below in terms of quality.

Chloe is right next to Au Pied de Cochon, so you could do those together.

...and then explode directly afterwards?

Does Chloe make wafer-thin mints? :rolleyes:

Edited by rcianci (log)

Yes, I think I had made a note to stop by to Chloe's before APdC, but was unsure of the wisdom of that, given the food-coma effect of APdC's dishes...! Thanks for the reminder Lesley - that makes it on to the "don't miss" list then.

I'll put in a good word for Le Mitoyen in Laval, as I have mentioned in the past. Others have highlighted it for its food - "substance over style" - and its service.

L'Express doesn't get many points for presentation, but styling itself as a bistro, it shouldn't have to. We had a very fine meal here.

I might also add that we thoroughly enjoyed 'smoked meat' at Schwatz's Deli as well. Quite a line, and unassuming food - but delicious.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Hi, jenc!

I'd certainly agree with a number of your choices.

Au Pied de Cochon - sublime

La Banquaise - poutine at 3 AM, what could be better? seriously, it's a great place. I like the poutine with chicken and peas, the original, and the poutine with bacon.

I really liked l'Anecdote on Rachel better than l'Avenue. I think it's a little cheaper, and the food is wonderful.

Jean-Talon Market is an absolute must - even in March.

Les Chocolats de Chloe is fabulous, and if you're there on the weekend, she makes hot chocolate. I haven't had it, but it sounds amazing. Do not miss the brownies!

The blog an endless banquet is incredibly helpful - if somewhat overwhelming. Enjoy!!!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

My husband and I are also traveling to Montreal in March for a delayed honeymoon so Jenc's list as well as this entire thread is helpful. Our list is similar but not as extensive. Does anyone know anything about Laurie Raphael? apparently it's inside the Hotel Germain. Also, we can't wait to try APdC.

Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell

~Gusteau, Ratatouille

There are so many great restaurants to try in Montreal and Laurie is not one of them. Maybe the one Quebec City, but not the one here in Montreal. Toque! is much, much better. Besides the over-the-top food at Laurie, the space is very cramped. Not a fan.

• 3 weeks later...

I figure that I might as well hop into this topic, since I'm also going to Montreal this month.

I have my reservation made for the Cabane APdC. Whee!

I also have a reservation at Toque! - my first visit. I'm considering the tasting menu with foie gras. Any thoughts about that?

Also, if I'm able to eat anything else at all after those two experiences, I'm thinking about other possibilities.

I have already tried and enjoyed La Banquaise, Maestro SVP, L'Anecdote, various goodies at Jean-Talon, les Chocolats de Chloe, and of course APdC. What do I need to try next? I'm especially considering Joe Beef, something wonderful in Chinatown, other great ethnic food of most any kind. Thanks!

Violet - if you go at the end of the month, I may be able to update you on our various eats! until then, you've eaten more extensively than I.

Cabane keeps shifting its date. I think I have a res, but they didn't confirm it, exactly. Just asked me for my cell phone. I think it's okay... O_O

The person on the other forum said that the Cabane did not open on the 19th as planned because of permit problems. Still waiting to hear whether they were open tonight. I see on their website they've got their own phone number now. You could call or email them if you're worried.

Update: Just heard back. They were open for business tonight and the first report is good.

Edited by rcianci (log)

The person on the other forum said that the Cabane did not open on the 19th as planned because of permit problems. Still waiting to hear whether they were open tonight. I see on their website they've got their own phone number now. You could call or email them if you're worried.

Update: Just heard back. They were open for business tonight and the first report is good.

Thanks for the update! I'd say that I was dieting in preparation, but since I'm out the door just now for poutine, I guess not... :-)