• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

36" Ranges

lsanderson

I recently purchased a 36" Blue Star, and couldn't be happier. Six burners, 2 @ 22K BTU, 3 @15K BTU, and a simmer burner that goes down to 130 BTU. A big convection oven that holds full size commercial baking sheets. http://www.bluestarcooking.com/

Much depends on your budget. As soon as you upgrade to a 36" things get expensive.

I recently purchased a 36" Blue Star, and couldn't be happier.  Six burners, 2 @ 22K BTU, 3 @15K BTU, and a simmer burner that goes down to 130 BTU.  A big convection oven that holds full size commercial baking sheets.  http://www.bluestarcooking.com/

Much depends on your budget. As soon as you upgrade to a 36" things get expensive.

They don't make an island range that I can see.

By an "island range" do you mean a cooktop?  They do have cooktops. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for.

Low riser in back so it can fit in an island or peninsula. I just found where they hide the part... Thanks for the feedback.

I bought a Viking 60" range w/6 burners, griddle, grill and dual convection ovens. I'd never buy Viking again, ever. Came with a broken gas manifold that was detected before I started it and smelled gas. the slide out clean catch trays had incomplete spot welds so the handles were loose and finally the oven starters when belly up after 6 years and less than 125 firings. All of this could have been an OK with me and move on, but when I contacted Viking, 3 times, I never, repeat never, got a response. If the VP for customer service wants to come check out my oven I'll be happy to place it where the sun don't shine on him!

"I drink to make other people interesting".

I bought a Viking 60" range w/6 burners, griddle, grill and dual convection ovens.  I'd never buy Viking again, ever.  Came with a broken gas manifold that was detected before I started it and smelled gas.  the slide out clean catch trays had incomplete spot welds so the handles were loose and finally the oven starters when belly up after 6 years and less than 125 firings.  All of this could have been an OK with me and move on, but when I contacted Viking, 3 times, I never, repeat never, got a response.  If the VP for customer service wants to come check out my oven I'll be happy to place it where the sun don't shine on him!

I seem to see lottsa irritated Viking owners out there.

We have a 36-inch GE Monogram range. Ours is dual-fuel (gas burners, electric oven) but I understand they do an all-gas version as well.

We love it.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I bought a Viking 60" range w/6 burners, griddle, grill and dual convection ovens.  I'd never buy Viking again, ever.  Came with a broken gas manifold that was detected before I started it and smelled gas.  the slide out clean catch trays had incomplete spot welds so the handles were loose and finally the oven starters when belly up after 6 years and less than 125 firings.  All of this could have been an OK with me and move on, but when I contacted Viking, 3 times, I never, repeat never, got a response.  If the VP for customer service wants to come check out my oven I'll be happy to place it where the sun don't shine on him!

I seem to see lottsa irritated Viking owners out there.

And Viking doesn't seem to care, as witnessed by there benign neglect!

"I drink to make other people interesting".