• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Once gelled, staying gelled?

JeanneCake

I was making coconut panna cotta this morning, and I think I shorted the number of gelatin sheets I should have used. I used 15 for something along the lines of about 90 oz (total) of coconut milk and coconut cream. These are being poured into a glass and served from the glass so I wanted a soft set, not rubbery.

I poured a test one and after an hour it is a soft gel, so I poured the rest of them and they're in the cooler now.

But these have to be transported and will likely stand at rm temp for an hour or two -

so here's the idiot question of the day:

will this panna cotta lose it's gel (and become too soft to hold) when it comes to rm temp?

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

I kept thinking I would have to go back last night and redo them, but by the time I was ready to go, the panna cottas were definitely set, firmer than when I first posted. So I think they will be ok.

I think I was trying to ask if you gel something, and are on the border with the amount of gelatin used, are there ever circumstances where the mixture would not stay gelled once it was not refrigerated. if you don't use enough gelatine, it won't set up to begin with - that's easy enough to see and resolve.

Keeping one out was a great idea! Wish I'd thought of that! But based on the fact that these things didn't shift while I was packing the crates, I think the 15 sheets were ok. Maybe the rule is if it doesn't gel within an hour, it isn't going to and you have to start again or add more sheets if possible.