• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

American Red Signal Crayfish

Is anyone on here catching the american red signal crayfish in the UK? I'd like to get into it, but I'm not sure exactly where I should be looking. I seem to remember that I need a license and obviously some catching gear, other than that, does anyone know much about it?

Is anyone on here catching the american red signal crayfish in the UK? I'd like to get into it, but I'm not sure exactly where I should be looking. I seem to remember that I need a license and obviously some catching gear, other than that, does anyone know much about it?

There is quiet an extensive guide in HFW's newish book "Fish" I seem to recall. As a londoner not many options for me here am afraid but I agree its interesting. I seem to recall seeing traps on some fishing websites so maybe a quick trawl through google will help

http://www.efishbusiness.co.uk/formsandgui...uneedtoknow.pdf

Hope it goes well

I use the round trap from here:

Cabela's crayfish traps

... I'd like to get into it, but I'm not sure exactly where I should be looking. ...

Where?

Well those areas (postcodes) where you don't require a license to "keep" Signals are likely to closely correlate to the areas with the 'problem'.

That list is here -

http://www.defra.gov.uk/marine/pdf/freshwater/licreq.pdf

Leeds (for CalumC)? Not on the list, so its not one of the most infested areas.

Hence, I'd particularly suggest that you make sure you can identify the difference between the Signal and the endangered native.

Legally, IIRC, traps are referred to as "fixed engines" - and that's what you do require a license for.

I believe a slightly 'whiffy' fish head is supposed to make good bait for a trap.

Its an offence to let loose (alive) any of the critters you might happen to catch. And they are escapologists, hence the problem in the first place.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Dougal, thank you, you're a god for having that list to hand, its exactly what i wanted, certainly makes my life easier. I sent an email to the environment agency but now you've given me that list, the emails a bit redundant.

The list makes sense, hardly anything in the north because the red signal crayfish haven't managed to get up there quite so bad yet, they can't take the risk that traps would also bring in the white claw crayfish, the south has already been lost it seems. I think i'll be trapping in Gloucestershire, which is virtually all free of license.

A Vietnamese couple taught me their way of doing it old-school in New Braunfels, Texas, last year. They take some parchment paper, wrap some chicken skin or sausage in it into a little packet, then tie some twine around it. Crawdad latches on, you pull the sucker up. I caught about 10 in 20 minutes this way, although we may have had a very excellent spot indeed.

I am now rather intrigued about fancy crawfish traps. I want one.

Calum, happy to assist!

But note that those postcodes relate to (freedom from) licenses to keep Signals. (But indicate their presence in those areas.)

Licensing to take is a different matter entirely.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Calum, happy to assist!

But note that those postcodes relate to (freedom from) licenses to keep Signals. (But indicate their presence in those areas.)

Licensing to take is a different matter entirely.

Ah i see, in that case the email i sent remains with purpose. Thanks either way, gives a good indication.

Calum, AFAIK, the legal position of trapping is still a mess.

Since 2005, it has been (theoretically) possible to be licensed to trap Signals.

But... somewhere along the line, the bureaucrats quietly did their best to save the Signals.

It seems far from easy to trap Signals legally (outside your own fish farm that is).

Traps need to be identified. Otter and vole conservation imposes specific sizes for traps. Then there's trap disinfection, so you don't spread Crayfish Plague (the disease, not the Signals themselves) from one watercourse to another. It goes on.

And it seems that the license is only issued for one specified day of crayfish trapping.

The Bylaws permitting the use of traps (with approval) are here

http://www.efishbusiness.co.uk/formsandguides/byelaw.pdf :wacko:

The application form :huh: is "FR2"

Here are the Guidance Notes http://www.efishbusiness.co.uk/formsandgui...FR2Notes705.pdf

and the form itself :unsure:http://www.efishbusiness.co.uk/formsandguides/FR2v051.pdf

Do please let us know how you get on.

Do please let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all the details, I think i'm going to have to delve into this just for the fact that someone needs to find out what the deal actually is. Like you said, its seeming like a complete mess as far as legality goes, needs a lot of clarification.

I'll let you know what I get back from the EA.