• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary cold streaks

Pierogi

One of the things I've noticed, since I've become more thoughtful and reflective about my cooking activities, is that about once every 3 or 4 months I hit a cold streak in the kitchen. Just fall out of my groove.

Not bad results necessarily, or even failures (though sometimes there's plenty of both of them too), but a serious and prolonged string of disappointments. Flavor combinations that don't work, even though they should, textures that aren't right, meat that goes from undercooked to shoe leather in a nanosecond. The drought usually lasts for around a week. And every dish in that week will be...off...in some manner.

This has been one of those weeks. Even recipes I've made before are affected by the funk as well, so its not just that I'm picking dogs. Then, it'll right itself, the sun will shine, the bluebirds will sing and all will be right in the kitchen again.

Does anyone else notice this? Is it biorhythm? The phases of the moon? I'm too old for it to be hormonal (:wink:) so that's not it.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

It happens. What I try to do is step away from the painting. Try something new. Go to a neighborhood you aren't familiar with. Eat something new. You would be amazed at what a new experience can do for your cooking. Oh and don't stress it. It's not like you are going to pull aces out of your hat every time.

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook