• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

modeling chocolate

devlin

If I want a yellow rose, for example, can I simply add yellow food color? And which variety of color would be best? Gel? Or is this just not a good idea?

You can knead in paste or gel color as you would into fondant or gum paste. No need to worry about seizing as with plain melted chocolate.

Alternately, if I want a whole batch of one color, I'll add the color to the corn syrup before stirring it into the chocolate. Saves the fuss of kneading it in later.

Another option is to make your rose using the natural white chocolate color, then use yellow petal dust to add color later. Makes for a more natural and refined-looking finished product.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

If I want a yellow rose, for example, can I simply add yellow food color? And which variety of color would be best? Gel? Or is this just not a good idea?

You can knead in paste or gel color as you would into fondant or gum paste. No need to worry about seizing as with plain melted chocolate.

Alternately, if I want a whole batch of one color, I'll add the color to the corn syrup before stirring it into the chocolate. Saves the fuss of kneading it in later.

Another option is to make your rose using the natural white chocolate color, then use yellow petal dust to add color later. Makes for a more natural and refined-looking finished product.

With the exception of adding color to corn syrup first (I like the sound of that), those are the options I'd considered might be possible, but since I've never done it didn't want to waste a pound of chocolate.

Thanks!