• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Show us your coffee cups!

Richard Kilgore

23 hours ago, weinoo said:

What can you tell me about these, @andiesenji?

1990723997_Cups09-12.jpeg.ce1e08e50c579505e18da73d37688b31.jpeg

635096469_Cupbottom09-12.jpeg.9d77e44956c6fa4408e021623e3c28df.jpeg

715272556_Cupbottom09-12-20.jpeg.f22cac04e19ed0214a363c15bcbefcee.jpeg

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Those are Jadeite. I believe those with the 6 on the bottom are the later, non-uranium mugs but you can check with a black light.  The last one looks earlier, has that slight yellowish tinge I associate with uranium glass but you would have to check.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

I had a Taylor and Ng mug, too! I had forgotten all about it. It was the one with the fornicating rabbits. Wish I still had it. There might have been a cat mug, too. (Picture courtesy Poshmark)

TaylorNg.jpg

I have the "naughty elephants" mug - someone gave it to me many years ago.

I also have a cartoon mug - by a cartoonist who was very popular in my younger days.

Roger Price created Droodles in 1953 and later, when I was in the Army, stationed in San Francisco and hanging out in North Beach during my free time he did a lot of Droodles featuring the "Beatniks" but this one of King Farouk on a bar stool was very popular. King Farouk was not. He had a TV show for a brief time. Carl Reiner was on it.  I have a couple of boxes of cartoonish mugs somewhere in my storage unit. I really should get them out.

HPIM2806 copy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I had a Taylor and Ng mug, too! I had forgotten all about it. It was the one with the fornicating rabbits. Wish I still had it. There might have been a cat mug, too. (Picture courtesy Poshmark)

TaylorNg.jpg

Yes, I have a lot more Taylor and Ng mugs tucked away: the rabbits, the elephants, I think some giraffes. It's funny how many people have used those mugs without realizing what was going on!

Then there's the French series like yours on the left. I think I have that rabbit; I may have Le Chien. I suppose it's silly to keep more than my cupboards will readily hold, but I still fantasize about large gatherings at the house such as we used to have. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Tremor leaves me struggling with a small open cup of coffee or tea. :S

I'm considering ordering this... Stanley Adventure Tough-To-Tip Admiral's Mug

stanley.PNG

I drink coffee or tea in bed so it's very important that it not tip and spill. xD

I sit my cup on a bamboo cutting board beside me.

Seems like a good shape to prevent spills. I keep my half 'n' half in a container shaped like that. (I "scoop" out my half 'n' half.)

• Like 1

We have an excessive number of mugs, even after a significant Goodwill donation. Here are our most-used. In order, we have: 

Wistful kitty. Colorful fish (benefiting Save the Children). Weird kitty.

Waechtersbach -- two made in West Germany (!), two in Spain. They're a bit less orang-y in real life.

Denby, bought before I knew whay Denby was.

Bennington Pottery -- a gift from a friend in the 80s. A promo mug from our favorite local NPR station. We used to have more.

Two hand-painted mugs from Poland. One Mikasa, Arabella pattern.

Promo mug for a local free-form radio station. Silent kitty.

cats fish.jpg

red.jpg

Denby.jpg

brown blue.jpg

small.jpg

WYCE cat.jpg

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 9/13/2020 at 3:18 PM, blue_dolphin said:

My current favorite are these vintage brown drip mugs from McCoy Pottery that I retrieved from my late parents house.

IMG_3030.thumb.jpeg.c7df8198f6c459872fa0cca0da210964.jpeg

The shape of the small handle includes a perfect rest for your middle finger below and feels very comforting to me.  Good memories. 

I love a LOT of these mugs/cups, but I have to say that these are special to me.  My parents had a whole set like this (copies, perhaps) that they used as everyday table pieces.  I'm guessing that the last mug bit the dust when I was still a child, but I loved them.  

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

D4C9BABA-4FA3-46C1-AA2F-3F6A42371D71.thumb.jpeg.e73ca68a5771d3693b914005f8c562c5.jpeg

My newest coffee mug and covered jar (for my sweetener packets); both items purchased from John Perry, one of the potters at the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View, Arkansas. John and his wife, Judi Munn, worked on the jar together, while Judi made the mug. The handle fits my hand just right! 
http://www.arkansascraftguild.org/john-perry-judi-munn/

• Like 8

My other main mugs:

B8331870-2288-49D5-A9AE-CCEEE83B2079.thumb.jpeg.42ba81998795012b9433e10b826f3f6f.jpeg

These were made by my brother-in-law and gifted to us. Since my husband does not drink coffee, both of the mugs are mine!

9F37D778-EE66-46EA-BC3A-2696CA90B152.thumb.jpeg.dca7359b76b72b0633b2f5ec6717bb90.jpeg

I use these three mugs, in rotation, when I think I just want one cup of coffee. I had purchased the nuthatch and wren cups while visiting my sister in the Pacific Northwest and then a few years later found the chickadee cup in the Gift Shop at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin.

6CE04BB6-35FD-4E50-985E-A67F9B859EF2.thumb.jpeg.e1d51df5c14a60bfee0d982df5167d72.jpeg

This is a sentimental favorite. I saw the show when it visited Austin in the late 1990’s and purchased the cup as a souvenir.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 4

On 9/13/2020 at 3:18 PM, blue_dolphin said:

My current favorite are these vintage brown drip mugs from McCoy Pottery that I retrieved from my late parents house.

I pinched similar from my parents home a dozen years ago. We left two behind to use when we visit. They would have put them out on the curb for town-wide free cycle day no doubt.----once a month in the summers. 

The globe mugs are what my grandmother served warm sweet tea when I was a wee one. Nestle, so maybe a freebie promotion. 

The expensive twin wall are way too delicate. I had eight and now down to one. Love the insulation but so tippy for early mornings. 

IMG_1329.jpeg

• Like 1

I told the story somewhere about my kleptomaniac neighbor. When we moved a dozen years ago a stainless cart had three wine boxes packed with our glasses. All sizes of Picardie. 4 ounce for expresso up to 12 ounce. I used the 5.5 for black coffee. That was a prime unload from the Russian movers to go straight to the kitchen. Most boxes sat for months un-boxed, but my Picardie did not make the trip. 

I just put a half dozen in my Amazon cart but had not thought about them in years. Might be a trigger. 😂 A classic glass that goes back to my years in NewOrleans. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 3.48.37 PM.png

• Like 2