• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Show us your coffee cups!

Richard Kilgore

I know I am not the only one who has a favorite coffee cup or who has accumulated a few for a variety of reasons.

So show us your coffee cups. One or a hundred. (I am truly afraid that someone out there has a collection of 1,000 in their garage.) I'll take some pics and post some of mine in a few days.

We have a rule: if a new mug comes to the kitchen, and old mug must go. There's a box in the attic full of mugs that are out of the kitchen, but not really gone.

At home I always use a glass mug for coffee. It's important to see the color when adding cream, or when getting a partial refill.

Tea's another story.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Here are my three favorite coffee mugs, all owned for many years and used regularly. (Owl used every morning.)

Owl - 16 oz Hand-thrown purchased at a craft fair in the mid-'70s during my owl-collecting phase. :biggrin:

Lion - 14 oz Otigiri purchased in early '80s.

Egypt - 12 oz Egyptian Papyrus Series purchased at a museum store in 1988.

gallery_17399_60_142315.jpg

gallery_17399_60_71979.jpg

gallery_17399_60_336709.jpg

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 11 years later...

This could have gone in the moka-pot thread but really, I dug the pot out as an excuse to use one of the Rosenthal coffee cups I inherited.

I love reviving ancient topics.

-C6o4ZD3OLMbi1Fv8Uh2IbVX3lG2z_sWHPiCgxB7NvTrCg3c1-hPz2gB1JzWC6ZGBRamBnHU1dyJpmocGcdTH4msc1Bfd73OZ-C8JRSdJy1OmtFlRoxHQvUkF8FjGoD9mIv_t9LuHY5CbQUfHJWYYiLO0uE0h491lLm4nmiEW3EaosGDPaP33vP1w-mJziTpPiX7f1E8dW_19fZGp7e5-AYeMwoPYJwZCp40oKYCDaGwmQSk5nUXesnMU3MPiF9SvZ0Sf4LtAev1pMm535v_W_TwZgNXO6WbBdYozQYJExwTZbvil9d34Ljp9sg2r3Ibyt80D3eBGF6zeK_z3GeTilp8TtQ79FB-clHbDljKYVMX5YTegWJftOTCtmqC0lxAHML9mDGv66_jF726Nl4relG7I6Q728v_7M-wRNB9CjhpU2URROQyVIQypB_w1Sz-62OwHUHwaXX93VQDKieEb40uc6rKTJ9YYdDa-m3TnTFv097IfpmKUIyqro2BSeipV8ANyWzxe_mGDDuYrpDkaAbj45FlbwCrzSEzzRm8BAwiaiBj0oD2O_ZeWeri0PSrrA0b_q1ze40-DubjilsZQN8CfsQo5YjgRJuNDvHx5ITYumXs2iE7lp6SkkziUbFDKuiRPHiUYWlwbNoM7ShI8dGU4V3Drw3_NBtoUi0-Weo9-Hb-8U0s_vPrzPsx=w1386-h843-no?authuser=0

• Like 6

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

This could have gone in the moka-pot thread but really, I dug the pot out as an excuse to use one of the Rosenthal coffee cups I inherited.

I love reviving ancient topics.

-C6o4ZD3OLMbi1Fv8Uh2IbVX3lG2z_sWHPiCgxB7NvTrCg3c1-hPz2gB1JzWC6ZGBRamBnHU1dyJpmocGcdTH4msc1Bfd73OZ-C8JRSdJy1OmtFlRoxHQvUkF8FjGoD9mIv_t9LuHY5CbQUfHJWYYiLO0uE0h491lLm4nmiEW3EaosGDPaP33vP1w-mJziTpPiX7f1E8dW_19fZGp7e5-AYeMwoPYJwZCp40oKYCDaGwmQSk5nUXesnMU3MPiF9SvZ0Sf4LtAev1pMm535v_W_TwZgNXO6WbBdYozQYJExwTZbvil9d34Ljp9sg2r3Ibyt80D3eBGF6zeK_z3GeTilp8TtQ79FB-clHbDljKYVMX5YTegWJftOTCtmqC0lxAHML9mDGv66_jF726Nl4relG7I6Q728v_7M-wRNB9CjhpU2URROQyVIQypB_w1Sz-62OwHUHwaXX93VQDKieEb40uc6rKTJ9YYdDa-m3TnTFv097IfpmKUIyqro2BSeipV8ANyWzxe_mGDDuYrpDkaAbj45FlbwCrzSEzzRm8BAwiaiBj0oD2O_ZeWeri0PSrrA0b_q1ze40-DubjilsZQN8CfsQo5YjgRJuNDvHx5ITYumXs2iE7lp6SkkziUbFDKuiRPHiUYWlwbNoM7ShI8dGU4V3Drw3_NBtoUi0-Weo9-Hb-8U0s_vPrzPsx=w1386-h843-no?authuser=0

First of all, that is an awesome Moka pot - and if you're ever interested in making a deal or selling, let me know!

Next - this is a pretty timely revival, as breakage (and not just wine glasses) during covid has me looking at coffee mugs (and cups and saucers are for ladies and tea and that ain't me).

For some reason, I've been drawn to these.

IMG_2159.jpeg.dc24f931c9916f824d0dcd609986090b.jpeg

Classic Anchor Hocking Fire King Oven Ware. The one on the right (jadeite) was much more expensive, and evidently more collectible. They hold less than what I had been used to (a scant 9 oz. as opposed to a 14 - 16 oz. mug), but that's OK. I get to drink a couple of different coffees every morning.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

First of all, that is an awesome Moka pot - and if you're ever interested in making a deal or selling, let me know!

Next - this is a pretty timely revival, as breakage (and not just wine glasses) during covid has me looking at coffee mugs (and cups and saucers are for ladies and tea and that ain't me).

For some reason, I've been drawn to these.

IMG_2159.jpeg.dc24f931c9916f824d0dcd609986090b.jpeg

Classic Anchor Hocking Fire King Oven Ware. The one on the right (jadeite) was much more expensive, and evidently more collectible. They hold less than what I had been used to (a scant 9 oz. as opposed to a 14 - 16 oz. mug), but that's OK. I get to drink a couple of different coffees every morning.

The AH cup is not jadeite, it is one of the "cased color" pieces made by Hocking in the 1940s and '50s.  

This is a Fire King "D-handle" Jadeite mug ca. 1935.  It glows under black light because it was made when they still used uranium.

At one time I had a bunch of these. Sold the last one about 5 years ago. 

1265192775_ScreenShot2020-09-08at5_09_25PM.png.5f4607690b409f6c8fbf6dc0684c8c77.png

This is a Fire King Jadeite restaurant ware mug  from the early '30s.  With a "ring" handle.  

These were very heavy - more than one toe has been broken by one of these falling on it.  

They don't have the translucency of the somewhat thinner glass in the D-handle mugs. 

470723871_ScreenShot2020-09-08at5_14_30PM.png.92882188200b2a73ae35c7a0d1e72eba.png

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@andiesenji I am completely in love with your jadeite mugs And the history is fascinating.  I would love to see your brain in one of those test situations where you can see the neurons firIng - a true fount of information :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I used to collect jadeite but gave it up when I learned Martha Steward was a major player. I gave mine away.

I think hers were imitations

• Haha 1

I am not much of a hot beverage fan.  An occasional cup of tea or cocoa - no coffee EVER.  I so looked forward to becoming a grown up in order to appreciate coffee.  I loved the whole business of adding sugar (and swore I'd only use cubes) and the swirling cloud of cream.  But I guess I never did grow up because I still detest the taste of coffee in any form.     I do, however live with a man who must start the day with at least 3 cups of coffee and who ends each day with a cup of tea.  So, I do have cups.  Here are my favorites.  These went on my wish list many years ago and Mr. Kim made sure that his parents knew.  They gifted them to me for my birthday that year:

IMG_3371.jpg.d69c8bfbca8e0b09cf8a563e11f705f1.jpg

These I got myself at The Christmas Tree Store:

IMG_3369.jpg.5fc31985d8189bbeb8825f095a57649e.jpg

This one is very special and no one drinks out of it:

IMG_3370.jpg.ac3925bbf408514e695244659bea2ac4.jpg

A good friend, who used to go to England every few months and knows my incurable Anglophilia, brought this back for me after the birth of HRH Prince George.  It is the official commemorative china from the Royal Collection Trust and one of my sillier treasures.  

• Like 6

19 hours ago, weinoo said:

I take it you are a collector? The pot actually has a bit of a history - an ex-girlfriend swiped it from her grandmother, Florence Greenberg, who founded Scepter records and was apparently quite a character. Not that I have any documentation of the provenance.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

10 hours ago, andiesenji said:

The AH cup is not jadeite, it is one of the "cased color" pieces made by Hocking in the 1940s and '50s.  

This is a Fire King "D-handle" Jadeite mug ca. 1935.  It glows under black light because it was made when they still used uranium.

1265192775_ScreenShot2020-09-08at5_09_25PM.png.5f4607690b409f6c8fbf6dc0684c8c77.png

Wow - interesting. So everyone selling this stuff as "jadeite" is lying. good to know, but not that surprising!

Fortunately, when I say more expensive, we're not talking expensive really. Just moreso than the white cup.

Also, @andiesenji what I really want are those restaurant diner mugs.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

I take it you are a collector? The pot actually has a bit of a history - an ex-girlfriend swiped it from her grandmother, Florence Greenberg, who founded Scepter records and was apparently quite a character. Not that I have any documentation of the provenance.

Not a collector so much as a user - I just really like Moka pots and I really like coffee.

Great story - adds to the provenance of the piece.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I'm a convert to the Yeti cup. 20 ounces of coffee (with cream only) and it stays hot.

I have one with a Memphis State Tiger and one with a flamingo, but I grabbed this plain steel one this morning.

Flamingo water bottle alongside.20200909_100958.thumb.jpg.cbc95e074be28482b6c43a14dffa9985.jpg

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/8/2020 at 8:18 PM, andiesenji said:

This is a Fire King Jadeite restaurant ware mug  from the early '30s.  With a "ring" handle.  

These were very heavy - more than one toe has been broken by one of these falling on it.  

They don't have the translucency of the somewhat thinner glass in the D-handle mugs. 

470723871_ScreenShot2020-09-08at5_14_30PM.png.92882188200b2a73ae35c7a0d1e72eba.png

What can you tell me about these, @andiesenji?

1990723997_Cups09-12.jpeg.ce1e08e50c579505e18da73d37688b31.jpeg

635096469_Cupbottom09-12.jpeg.9d77e44956c6fa4408e021623e3c28df.jpeg

715272556_Cupbottom09-12-20.jpeg.f22cac04e19ed0214a363c15bcbefcee.jpeg

Any insight greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Little embarrassed to post these because they're kind of froufrou. I was looking for a coffee cup that was more like a large teacup. This is what I ended up with. The coffee cools off a little too quickly, though. Over all, I like them.

IMG_0758.thumb.jpeg.64af6c494cc0bc70120b471e96dd2a06.jpeg

• Like 3

I love the Raven Lunatic pun! For a similar reason, one of my favorite mugs is this Taylor and Ng classic.

20200912_221232.jpg

For the most part, my coffee mugs are commemorations. (Mind you, I have beautiful china cups. They should probably find another home.) There are the family heirlooms, so to speak: one celebrating our love of aviation,

20200912_221400.jpg

and another celebrating my grandfather's work and my father's upbringing in the California oil fields. This was designed by Dad's cousin, and when my parents passed away my sister and I each got one of the pair.

20200912_221421.jpg

Then there's one of the annual fundraising mugs for becoming a Friend of the Duluth Library. I particularly love the size, heft and balance of this one.

20200912_221452.jpg

Finally, for this show-and-tell, I'll show off the mug brought back from the Kennedy Space Center, when a dear friend (flight instructor extraordinaire, about to turn 100 years old) went to see the launch of one of her students-turned-astronauts. 

20200912_185536.jpeg

Nothing worth money, except possibly the Taylor and Ng (prices were crazy a decade ago on eBay) but I love the memories they trigger when I use them.

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Tremor leaves me struggling with a small open cup of coffee or tea. :S

I'm considering ordering this... Stanley Adventure Tough-To-Tip Admiral's Mug

stanley.PNG

I drink coffee or tea in bed so it's very important that it not tip and spill. xD

I sit my cup on a bamboo cutting board beside me.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

I love the Raven Lunatic pun! For a similar reason, one of my favorite mugs is this Taylor and Ng classic.

20200912_221232.jpg

Nothing worth money, except possibly the Taylor and Ng (prices were crazy a decade ago on eBay) but I love the memories they trigger when I use them.

I had a Taylor and Ng mug, too! I had forgotten all about it. It was the one with the fornicating rabbits. Wish I still had it. There might have been a cat mug, too. (Picture courtesy Poshmark)

TaylorNg.jpg

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer