• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glazing a Bundt Cake

Isabelle Prescott

here is a chocolate bundt with cocolat's chocolate glaze:

gallery_8512_4054_89793.jpg

i make twice as much glaze as is needed to assure complete coverage on one pour. (the leftover can be remelted, or used like ganache after it's firm)

and a simple drizzle glaze of powdered sugar thinned with lemon juice and a few drops of boyajian lemon oil:

gallery_8512_4054_323246.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply and the pictures. They are beautiful

I was thinking about a glaze that is poured onto a warm cake while it is still in the baking pan rather than a glaze/frosting put on after the cake is removed. I've had bundt cakes with rum, kalhua, etc., glazes and wanted some other suggestions.

I think what you're looking for are syrups, rather than glazes. When I hear the word "glaze", I always think of something that gets drizzled or poured onto the cake.

Basically you could do any kind of alcohol and sugar syrup combination--in baking class we once made a cake with a sugar syrup and creme de cassis combination. If it were going to be used in the way you're thinking, I'd limit its usage to chocolate bundt cakes, though.

You could also do a coffee syrup without the Kahlua (again, I'd probably use that on a chocolate bundt cake--might make for a great mocha-like flavour).

I'm curious, why just chocolate bundts, Rona?

Margaret Braun calls these flavored simple syrup cake applications, 'splashes'.

I mean you can flavor them with anything, extracts, oils, liqueurs, etc. The sky's the limit.

Only because she's "pouring" it onto the cakes while still in the pan. Or maybe I'm taking that too literally. But I think if you've got a white/yellow cake, and you pour some pinkish reddish syrup (in the case of cassis) onto it, then you're going to end up with a white/yellow cake with pinkish reddish blotches. Plus it's coming from the bottom up, so when you turn the cake out of the pan, I envision the bottom being more pinkish reddish than the top.

I just remember having slightly pinkish reddish tops of cakes in baking class when we brushed with that syrup, but it didn't really matter because they were covered with mousse. But with a bundt cake, if you're not going to be glazing, then you'll see everything.