• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any tips for York, UK

Yes there is a Betty's in York. Get there before the Yanks do though as you may face a long wait!! Other than that, I reckon York is a little disappointing on the food front, in view of such a grand city. Theres J Bakers to go to, which can be hit or miss. Other than that its pretty much the same old stuff. pizza, pasta, curry, star bucks. If you can be arsed nip over to leeds, only half hour away. Theres the Piazza (see thread), Anthony's, Brasserie Blanc, No 3 York place etc.

Yes there is a Betty's in York. Get there before the Yanks do though as you may face a long wait!! Other than that, I reckon York is a little disappointing on the food front, in view of such a grand city. Theres J Bakers to go to, which can be hit or miss. Other than that its pretty much the same old stuff. pizza, pasta, curry, star bucks. If you can be arsed nip over to leeds, only half hour away. Theres the Piazza (see thread), Anthony's, Brasserie Blanc, No 3 York place etc.

Trip to Leeds is seconded.

Trip to Leeds is seconded.

Or head East to "The Star" near Helmslsey.

meltons is the best foodies restaurant, bells and whistles modern it is not, but solid cooking, extensive & value wine list it is. It can lack atmosphere if that bothers you but it's about the only place i'd head to in the town centre for lunch / dinner.

j bakers has its fans, i've been a couple of times and wouldn't put you off but i find it a little whimsical for my liking but i know plenty of very demanding diners who rate it, jay rayner gave it a very positive review.

dch at the dean court is supposed to be ok but not tried it.

ethnically look no further than red chill for chinese and akbars for indian, they are across the road from each other, and also near the maltings a reasonable drinking hole or near the living room/parish if you want something livlier.

more casual, a very nice pizza express on lendal bridge in a lovely building, for old school trad italian try restaurante bari on the shambles.

check out the york brewery pubs for some decent places for a drink that aren't chainy. there's no real 'gastropub' scene in the town centre, but plenty in the sticks where generally the best cooking is found in the area.

if you do have a car the star at harome or the pipe and glass in south dalton would be my picks.

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

Went to a place called the Lime Tree, swinegate i think, but this was about 6 years ago, visited york again a few years back and saw that the menu was identical. So make of that what you will.

there is a lime tree on goodramgate, used to be the tasting room on swinegate not sure if it is there anymore.

you don't win friends with salad

Ate at Meltons three, maybe four, years back and thought it perfectly fine. Not a WOW place but, as Gary says, good cooking.

I gather they now have a second place (Meltons 2?) that's less up-market.

John Hartley