• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2009 Must-Have Cookbooks

Pam R

It's a new year, so it's a good time to put together a list of the must-have books for 2009. Anything that's already been released this year or is expected to be released before January 1, 2010 can go on the list.

What's on your list?

I'm hoping that Andrew McConnell (Three One Two, Cumulus Inc, Mrs. Jones, Circa, Dining Room 211 - all have been in Melbourne, Australia) finally releases his cookbook. The rumour is that it will have recipes from his restaurant.

The same goes for Karen Martini. There is a book with recipes that she's used in her restaurants, but so far, she's released two books with home cooking.

The last one is Phillipa Sibley who has apparantly written a book on desserts.

If these three books see the light of day in 2009 and they all have restaurant recipes in them, I'll be very happy.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I'm hoping that Andrew McConnell (Three One Two, Cumulus Inc, Mrs. Jones, Circa, Dining Room 211 - all have been in Melbourne, Australia) finally releases his cookbook.  The rumour is that it will have recipes from his restaurant.

The same goes for Karen Martini.  There is a book with recipes that she's used in her restaurants, but so far, she's released two books with home cooking.

The last one is Phillipa Sibley who has apparantly written a book on desserts.

A McConnell book would certainly be worth a look, and Sibley definitely. I'm less optimistic about one from Karen Martini, but here's hoping it'll surprise me. I hope we can get reviews of these when they appear.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

• 3 weeks later...
A McConnell book would certainly be worth a look, and Sibley definitely. I'm less optimistic about one from Karen Martini, but here's hoping it'll surprise me. I hope we can get reviews of these when they appear.

I spent a quiet evening yesterday looking through various Australian cookbooks, and it occured to me that we're unlikely to see a McConnell, Sibley, or Martini book that is related to restaurant cooking over the next year or two. If you think about books like the ones released for the Botanical or the Lake House, their RRP was around the $80 mark. I think the market for these kinds of books won't be as large as it once was. Despite Rudd's handouts, the lower interest rates, and falling petrol prices, people won't splash out on high end books until they feel more comfortable about their long term financial prospects.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a rumor that Martin Picard (Au Pied du Cochon) is coming out with a new cookbook. I own a cookbook store in San Francisco called omnivore Books, and am trying to keep up with all the new ones coming out. Just got in Gerald Hirogoyen's Pintxos, about Basque appetizers. Looks fabulous.

Omnivore Books on Food

New, Antiquarian and Collectible Books on Food

I'm hoping that with the new cookbooks that are getting released in future, we'll see more books like "Food For Thought" (Alan Murchison), "Black Pudding And Foie Gras" (Andrew Pern), "Au Pied de Conchon - The Album" (Martin Picard), and "Alinea" (Grant Achatz) where the chef/authors create the book for as much a labour of love as it is for a promotional exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

my call for most anticipated book, and i hope its this yr is Nathan Myrvolds book on sous vide. he has been instrumental in encouraging a ton of eGers to try sous vide and has freely given his time and expertise in the massive sous vide thread. i cant wait for the book.

Paula Wolfert's Clay Pot Cookery book is due out in September! Can't wait!

Hi Kit,

Thanks for that heads up. I've started to activate my clay pot again and your timing is perfect. Paula's new book is "Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking" scheduled for release October 2009. Amazon.com is taking pre-orders. I'm heading over there now to order it. :smile:

Regards,

Hank

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, some gorgeous 2009 ones out of the UK I just got into my store:

Ripailles by Stephane Reynaud

Dashi and Umami with foreword by Heston Blumenthal, et al.

Borough Market Meat and Fish

Wild Food by Ray Mears

Marco Pierre White's Great British Feast

Quite lovely, as the Brits would say.

Omnivore Books on Food

New, Antiquarian and Collectible Books on Food

• 1 month later...

Maintaining the book news section of The Gastronomer's Bookshelf is a ton of work, but it does keep me up-to-date on the forthcoming titles, so it's all good.

(the Grand Livre de Cuisine dessert book should have come out by now, by the way.)

Vefa's Kitchen (May 2009) by publisher Phaidon is something I've wanted to see-- it aims to be a "Silver Spoon" of Greek cooking.

As a P&B regular, I want to get a copy of The Big Sur Bakery cookbook (June 09), Cake Chic (July 09), La Maison du Chocolat (Sept 09), RLB's Rose's Heavenly Cakes (Sept 09), and Ace of Cakes (Oct 09-- but should I really?). A Chronicle title, Gingerbread, is out Sept 09 but it's only noteworthy to me because I really, really love Gingerbread!

David Leite has a book coming out, The new Portuguese Table, in August.

Out October 09: Diana Kennedy has a revised edition of The Essential Cuisines of Mexico. Lidia Bastianich has a new book, Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy. Alton Brown has "Good Eats" coming out.

Looks like October/September are busy months! And I still pick up a ton of new titles to publicize as the months progress.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Peter Reinhart's blog, he will have another book out this year.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Yes, it's this one: clicky

The name has changed from "Artisan Breads Made Easy" and "Artisan Breads Fast" to "Artisan Breads Every Day." (I'm not even sure which is the correct title now. Grr!) It "replaces the breakthrough methods of the past, the various preferment methods, and the no-knead craze, and offers high-caliber versions of classic breads using the best techniques to create the highest quality loaves in a fast and convenient fashion."

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

The new book from Thomas Keller "Ad Hoc at Home" will come out this fall. Will be interesting to see what level of cooking it will include

I was at Ad Hoc a few weeks ago and asked my server about the new book. He mentioned it was supposed to come out in September / October, but Amazon shows it coming out in Nov. Either way, it apparently is going to feature a lot of the items on Ad Hoc's menus plus recipes focusing on classic American comfort food. My understanding is that it will be the most accessible of Keller's books, without sacrificing his philosophy.

It also looks as if David Chang's Momofuku will be coming out around the same time.