• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep-fried Puff Pastry

LoneSavant

Just looking for ideas...

I'd thought about doing a pineapple empanada as a weekly dessert at my restaurant, and, in looking for a union between ease of preparation and style/quality, I was curious about using frozen puff pastry (rolled thinner) as the empanada pastry. Has anyone tried deep-frying puff before with good results?

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

I'd thought about doing a pineapple empanada as a weekly dessert at my restaurant, and, in looking for a union between ease of preparation and style/quality, I was curious about using frozen puff pastry (rolled thinner) as the empanada pastry. Has anyone tried deep-frying puff before with good results?

No, but it sure sounds good!

No, but it sure sounds good!

Ditto for me. Fried dough has got to rank up there with chocolate. I love to stop at the Navajo fairs and buy Fry bread.

The best fried stuff I ever had was many years ago at the Bufadora in Mexico, fried in an old cement mixer by a not too clean gentleman. Churros. With sugar on them. My Father and I ate the entire bag in ten minutes and didn't save one for my Mother. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Pretty sure there's a Chinese deep fried bun that's like a puff-pastry dough, not yeasty like a donut. In the "bing" family?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Sounds really yummy!

I would just drop a couple pieces of frozen dough in hot fat to test it out. Then if it fries up ok, I'd say you could use it for your empanadas...........let us know how it turns out!

I agree. I spent part of a night tossing pieces of puff pastry in the microwave at different times and power levels a while back just out of curiosity and it puffed very nicely. Unfortunately, it didn't cook evenly that way so it always left undercooked parts or, if cooked until there were no undercooked parts, then there were overcooked parts. Hadn't thought of tossing it in the fryer though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It works. For awhile I was obsessed with making spiral curry puffs and I tried commercial sheets, homemade butter puff pastry and homemade Chinese flaky pastry. The homemade doughs tasted the best but the commercial puff pastry was the sturdiest.

Edited by aprilmei (log)

My experience with them is that puff pastry squares fry up big and puffy but still soft. They tend to be a bit greasy, which may be part of the charm. The catch is that fried puff pastry gets soggy and unappealing when cool, so the pastry will have to be fried a la minute.

Yeah, so, I pronounce this idea a failure....hah...

I tried three tests: frozen strip, thawed strip, and thawed strip rolled flat.

The frozen strip got all melty and cooked unevenly

The thawed one *seemed* to be doing alright, but never colored much, and absorbed enough oil to light a house for the winter-- blech.

The rolled strip exploded into all its individual layers, and then followed test 2's oil-absorption.

All in all, they were pretty awful when tasted.

Avoid.

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

Much smaller than empanada fits between the palm of the hand but nice flaky pastry dusted with icing sugar a deep fried pastry from Argentina "Estrella Federal" Basically a small square dough with a teaspoon size filling of quince paste or other hard sweet pastry may be guava or sweet potato or pumpkin paste. Then it is closed by another square on top but this time the top square is aligned pointing at the middle size of the lower pastry sheet giving you a star of six points in reality the federal star has eight points.

000108b67.jpg

Traditionally made and eaten in the afternoons with the regional drink tea "mate"

Edited by piazzola (log)