• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which America Heritage Cookbook Is Which?

morphone

I've gone through the web looking for an older copy of the American Heritage Cookbook, but there are several different versions and I'm not sure which is which. Here are the copies that I've found:

The American Heritage Cookbook and Illustrated History of American Eating & Drinking (Hardcover - American Heritage Publishing Company 1964)

The American Heritage Cookbook (More than 500 great traditional recipes and 40 historic menus, tested and adapted for modern kitchens) (Paperback - Bantam Books 1975)

The American Heritage Cookbook and Illustrated History of American Eating & Drinking, 2-Vol. Boxed Set by eds. American Heritage (Hardcover - American Heritage Publishing Company 1964)

The American Heritage Cookbook, (Unknown Binding - American Heritage Press 1969)

The American Heritage Cookbook More Than 500 Easy to Make Recipes by Helen McCully (Hardcover - American Heritage Publishing Co. Inc. 1969)

American Heritage Cookbook (Hardcover - Random House Value Publishing 1992)

American Heritage Cookbook: Boxset 2 Volumes (Hardcover - Random House Value Publishing 1982)

Which is which? Who published the actual American Heritage Cookbook? Or are there many with no actual "original"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephanie Stiavetti

Food blog: http://www.wasabimon.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/sstiavetti

• 2 weeks later...

I can't answer definitively. I have volume 2 of the 2 volume 1964 edition. Volume one was basically a history of cooking in America and volume 2 is just the recipes. The book is a 5X9" hard cover edition.

If I can remember correctly, American heritage books were a kind of hard cover magazine format book published by American Heritage Publishing. Each volume dealt with a different era in periods of history. Time Life Decades books are the closest thing we have today. Periodically, they'd publish a special edition book on a particular subject hence the cookbooks.

HTH