• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Society

Does anyone have experience of the discount card operators such as the above? Although the list of participating restaurants for my part of the world is quite respectable, am I right to be suspicious? Are menus and reservations highly restricted? It is only after you join that you get a directory that shows what precise restrictions apply to individual establishments.

Alan

The "Hi-Life Club" operates in my area, offering 2 for 1 meals for a subscription of fifty quid.

I havnt direct experience of it, as I was put off by a pal who complained about the restrictions on when you can eat (it's the Tuesday at 6pm "early diner" scenario). I may, of course, be doing it an injustice as this was a couple of years back

John

John Hartley

i don't have any bad experience of these type of systems but i feel the person that benefits most from them is the card issuer not the punter or the restaurant.

you've got to be pretty organised generally to make the most of the offers.

having been on the end of a hi life pitch many moons ago they offer the earth to the restaurants to allow the card, but i was always against giving our food away on promotion especially the newspaper offers etc as you just tend to attract bargain hunters, they rarely come back and pay full price so you end up a busy fool.

If you want some cheap high st meals (including the likes of pizzaexpress and GBK) then sign up at www.vouchercodes.co.uk they send a weekly email of offers, i don' t think i've seen a single person paying full price in pizzaexpress recently, everyone seems to have a voucher!

you don't win friends with salad